At the beginning of his career he worked as a journalist for the social democratic newspaper Dagsavisen . From March 10, 1976 to January 1, 1979 he was State Secretary for the Law of the Sea and Fisheries Limits. He then went to New York as counselor for the Norwegian UN delegation . From 1983 he was press spokesman in the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs .
Treholt published his autobiography in 2004 entitled Gray Zones .
Conviction for espionage
On January 20, 1984, the Norwegian police arrested Treholt on suspicion of espionage for the Soviet Union. He was arrested at Oslo Airport on charges of wanting to meet a Soviet agent in Vienna. Numerous people defended his actions, regardless of the complete clarification of the incident, which is still open today. Arne Treholt was sentenced to 20 years imprisonment in 1985 for treason and espionage for the Soviet Union . After eight years, he was released early from prison in 1992 and has meanwhile emigrated to Russia . Treholt now lives in Cyprus. He never acknowledged his guilt and saw his detention and conviction as a gross miscarriage of justice. Geir Selvik Malthe-Sørenssen , who presented himself as a private detective, sowed doubts about the official version and brought about a retrial. Malthe-Sørenssen was exposed as a forger by the newspaper VG in 2016 and in 2018 sentenced to 3 years imprisonment for fraud and forgery of documents. Treholt's request for resumption was denied in 2011.
- Jo Bech-Karlsen: Worried anelser. En bok om Treholt-saken , Gyldendal, Oslo 1985. ISBN 82-05-16516-5
- Arne Haugestad: Kappefall. Et varslet justismord , Aschehoug, Oslo 2004. ISBN 82-03-18219-4
- Arne Treholt: Gråsoner , Gyldendal, Oslo 2004. ISBN 82-05-32315-1
- Stein Vale: Teppefall i Treholt-saken , Cappelen Damm, Oslo 2009. ISBN 978-82-02-29988-0
- Ståle Hansen: De presset meg som en sitron. In: NRK .no (Norwegian Broadcasting). November 9, 2019 (Norwegian).
- Noregs regjeringar. Statsrådar, statssekretærar, politiske rådgjevarar , ed. from the State Chancellery, Oslo 2003, p. 30.
- Chronology 1984, in: Foreign Affairs , Volume 63, No. 3, America and the World 1984 (1984), p. 679.
- Tord Larsen: Action, Morality, and Cultural Translation, pp. 1–28, in: Journal of Anthropological Research, Volume 43, No. 1 (Spring, 1987), p. 12.
- Norway's 'greatest spy case' to be re-examined , in: AFP of September 24, 2010, accessed on August 26, 2011.
- Tidligere journalist Geir Selvik Malthe-Sørenssen he dømt til tre års fengsel
- Treholt får ikke saken gjenopptatt
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Norwegian politician and diplomat|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 13, 1942|