|Seat||Rancho Santa Margarita , California|
|Branch||Video game developer|
|As of October 17, 2018|
Backbone Entertainment was created in 2003 through the merger of Digital Eclipse Software and ImaginEngine . Digital Eclipse was a handheld game and arcade game emulation specialist founded in 1992 with studios in Emeryville , California and Vancouver, Canada . ImaginEngine, founded in 1994, specialized in children's software and owned studios in Boston and San Francisco . The latter was merged with the Emeryville studio.
In order to cope with the increasingly complex productions, the company merged with The Collective in 2005 to form Foundation 9 Entertainment , which it claims to be the largest independent developer in the USA. Since then, the Backbone Entertainment brand has stood for in-house developments within Foundation 9 Entertainment, the Digital Eclipse brand for arcade emulation and ImaginEngine for children's titles and games from the Boston studio. In February 2006, another branch studio was established in Charlottetown , Canada . In 2007 Foundation 9 released the studio into independence and it changed its name to Other Ocean Interactive. The reason given was the small size of the studio. Studio Vancouver was downsized in September 2008 and closed in May 2009.
In October 2012, Backbone had to lay off most of its workforce in Emeryville, and the ImagineEngine studio in Boston was completely closed.
- 2012: Midway Arcade Origins
- 2012: Dance Central 3
- 2012: The Simpsons
- 2011: Altered Beast
- 2011: Ugly Americans: Apocalypsegeddon
- 2011: Comix Zone
- 2011: Streets of Rage 2
- 2010: X-Men
- 2010: Rock Band 3
- 2009: LEGO Rock Band
- 2009: Military Madness: Nectaris
- 2009: GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra
- 2009: Phantasy Star II
- 2009: Gunstar Heroes
- 2009: Spac3 Invaders Extr3me
- 2009: Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection
- 2008: Everyday Shooter
- 2008: Monster Lab
- 2008: The Spiderwick Chronicles
- 2007: Sonic the Hedgehog
- 2007: Shrek-N-Roll
- 2007: Sonic Rivals 2
- 2007: Death Jr. and the Science Fair of Doom
- 2007: Tumble Bees Deluxe
- 2006: Dogz
- 2006: Charlotte's Web: Wilbur and Friends
- 2006: Charlotte's Web
- 2006: Death Jr. II: Root of Evil
- 2006: MechAssault: Phantom War
- 2006: Age of Empires: The Age of Kings
- 2006: NBA Ballers: Rebound
- 2005: Rifts: Promise of Power
- 2005: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- 2004: Spider-Man 2
- Backbone and Collective merge . In: Eurogamer.net . ( eurogamer.net [accessed November 30, 2018]).
- Foundation 9 Entertainment Expands With New Studio . In: GamesIndustry.biz . ( gamesindustry.biz [accessed November 30, 2018]).
- Foundation 9 says goodbye to Charlottetown ( Memento June 7, 2011 in the Internet Archive )
- Foundation 9 Entertainment Spins Off Prince Edward Island Studio ( January 30, 2009 memento in the Internet Archive )
- Mike Rose: Layoffs at digital game studio Backbone Entertainment . ( gamasutra.com [accessed November 30, 2018]).
- ImaginEngine game studio shuts down (exclusive) . In: VentureBeat . October 12, 2012 ( venturebeat.com [accessed November 30, 2018]).