Largest land vehicle
In the year of its completion in 1978 the excavator 288 with its 13,500 tons trumped the crawler transporter of NASA , which to date has been used as the largest land vehicle to transport the space shuttle and Apollo Saturn V launch vehicles. At 2,721 tons, the crawler transporter remains the largest self-propelled land vehicle, as the excavator 288 is dependent on externally supplied electricity, while the crawler has its own diesel-electric drive.
The 288 excavator initially had the task of removing overburden before coal could be extracted in the Hambach opencast mine . It can excavate up to 240,000 tons of coal or 204,000 cubic meters of overburden daily and thus fill up to 2,400 freight wagons . It requires 16.56 megawatts of externally supplied electrical power.
The 288 excavator is approximately 240 meters long and 96 meters high. The excavator head itself measures 21.6 meters in diameter and has 18 shovels, each of which can dig up 6.6 cubic meters of overburden. The chassis of the main area is 46 meters wide and sits on three rows of four tracks , each 3.8 meters wide.
The large contact surface results in a low specific soil pressure of 17.1 N / cm² (= 171,000 Pa = 1.7 bar). This enables the excavator to drive over earth, gravel and even grass without leaving a deep track. It moves forward at 2 to 10 meters per minute. Its minimum turning radius is 100 meters and its maximum incline is 1:18.
In February 2001, excavator 288 was brought to the Garzweiler opencast mine, 22 kilometers away, within three weeks . The move cost 15 million German marks and employed 70 workers. Rivers were crossed by laying steel pipes through which the water could flow. These pipes were covered with earth and stones so that the excavator could cross them. In some cases, special grass was planted to secure the subsoil. Transporting the excavator in one piece was more economical than dismantling it into individual parts.
- The Bagger 288 appears in the 2012 movie Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance . The Ghost Rider spreads havoc among his opponents by using the excavator.
- The 288 excavator appears in The Hunger Games - Catching Fire in the background of District 12.
- Joel Veitch's project Rathergood contains the song Bagger 288 on the album Spongs in the Key of Life . In the song, the excavator is a war machine that protects humanity.
- The Bagger 288 appears in the series Westworld (Season 1, Episode 5: "Contrapasso"). It is used to terraform the park.
- The Bagger 288 appears in the Chinese blockbuster The Wandering Earth in 2019 .
- bucket wheel excavators. In: thyssenkrupp-industrial-solutions.com. Retrieved November 6, 2017 .
- The largest excavators in the world. Archived from the original on July 17, 2012 ; accessed on November 6, 2017 .
- Crawler - Transporter. In: nasa.gov. April 21, 2003, accessed June 18, 2007 .
- Interview with the Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance Directors Neveldine and Taylor. Retrieved December 16, 2013 .
- Bagger 288 - Rathergood. Retrieved January 20, 2016 .