Bruno Klein (art historian)
Bruno Klein studied art history in Berlin , Paris , Cologne and Bonn . In 1983 he received his doctorate from the Free University of Berlin under Otto von Simson with a thesis on the Abbey Church of St-Yved in Braine and the beginnings of high Gothic architecture in France. 1983 to 1985 he was a scholarship holder of the Art History Institute in Florence , 1986 to 1991 Academic Councilor at the Art History Institute of the Georg-August University in Göttingen . There the habilitation took place on the basis of a writing about the Romanesque cathedral of Piacenza . Between 1992 and 1997 he worked as a university lecturer at the Ruhr University Bochum . Since 2000 he has held the endowed professorship “Christian Art of Late Antiquity and the Middle Ages” at the TU Dresden. He was visiting professor at the Sorbonne and the École Pratique des Hautes Études in Paris , as well as in Bonn, Friborg and São Paulo. From 2015 to 2016 he was Richard Krautheimer Visiting Professor at the Bibliotheca Hertziana / Max Planck Institute for Art History in Rome. At the TU Dresden he was a. a. Dean, vice dean, dean of studies and member of the academic senate. He is a member of international advisory boards and editorial committees as well as the DFG Review Board 103 (2012 - 2019, its spokesman from 2016). In 2013 he received the gold medal from Charles University in Prague .
Bruno Klein's main research interests include the art of the Middle Ages, the history of architecture from the Middle Ages to the present, especially the global reception of medieval architecture in the present, and the history of art history . He was and is a member of graduate schools, the Collaborative Research Center 804 “Transcendence and Common Sense” and is a full member of the Saxon Academy of Sciences , where he heads the Commission for the Art History of Central Germany.
- Gothic - image culture of the Middle Ages from 1140 - 1500, Potsdam 2012.
- The Cathedral of Piacenza - Romanesque architecture and sculpture, Worms 1995 (= habilitation thesis).
- St-Yved in Braine and the beginnings of high Gothic architecture in France, Cologne 1984 (28th publication of the architecture department of the Art History Institute of the University of Cologne, edited by Günther Binding) (= dissertation).
- (with Henrik Karge) 1810 - 1910 - 2010: Independencias dependientes. Art and national identities in Latin America; Arte e identidades nacionales en América Latina; Art and National Identities in Latin America, Frankfurt, Madrid 2016.
- (with Katja Schröck and Stefan Bürger) Church as a construction site. Large religious buildings of the Middle Ages, Cologne, Weimar, Vienna 2013.
- (with Stefan Bürger and Katja Schröck) foreman of the late Gothic. Vol. 1, Position and Role of Architects in the Building Industry of the 14th to 16th Century People, Darmstadt 2009; Vol. 2: Office and Image, Darmstadt 2010.
- History of Fine Arts in Germany, Vol. 3: Gotik, Munich, Berlin, London, New York 2007.
- (with Paul Sigel) Constructions of urban identity. Quotation and reconstruction in contemporary architecture and urban planning, Berlin 2006.
- (with Barbara Borngässer and Henrik Karge) Tombs and Sepulchral Culture in Spain and Portugal - Arte funerario y cultura sepulcral eu España y Portugal, Frankfurt, Madrid 2006.
- (with Bruno Boerner) Questions of Style on Medieval Art - An Introduction, Berlin 2006.
- (with Harald Wolter - von dem Knesebeck) Nobilis Arte Manus. Festschrift for the 70th birthday of Antje Middeldorf Kosegarten, Dresden, Kassel 2002.
- Literature by and about Bruno Klein in the catalog of the German National Library
- Literature by Bruno Klein in the archive of the University of Heidelberg
- Page from Bruno Klein at the TU Dresden
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German art historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1957|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Cologne|