Chief Listening Officer
Alternative terms, sometimes technical jargon , are chief blogger , social media chief or community manager . With the increasing importance of this function in the late 2000s, it moved to the management level of companies, and the term chief listening officer slowly established itself as a formal designation. The term media pilot is also used in German-speaking countries .
The role of the Chief Listening Officer affects all of a company's social media activities. This includes the creation of guidelines for social media relations and, if necessary, guidelines for data protection , the introduction of social media monitoring , as well as the planning and implementation of activities in the field of social media marketing . Companies that have established a position of chief listening officer include Kodak , Dell, and Comcast , among others .
Definition of terms
The designation is derived from “to listen” (eng .: “to listen”), as one of the core tasks is to follow company-relevant statements by third parties in social networks . Depending on the social media policy , the statements are then forwarded in the company so that the responsible departments or people can react to them.
Jeffrey W. Hayzlett, Kodak's Chief Marketing Officer, described the Chief Listening Officer's duties as follows:
"CLO acts like an air traffic controller - routes brand-mention tweets to different departments within Kodak"
“ The CLO acts like an air traffic controller - it forwards tweets mentioning the brand to various departments within Kodak. "
- Jeffrey W. Hayzlett, Jim Eber: The Mirror Test: Is Your Business Really Breathing? , 2010, ISBN 978-0446559829
- chieflistenerblog.com ( Memento of the original from September 21, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- List of companies with chief listening officers, as well as current salary structure and organizational integration
- 'Chief Listeners' Use Technology to Track, Sort Company Mentions
- Salary Studies for Chief Listening Officers and Other Social Media Professions , published by ForumOne.