Christian from Friis to Friisenborg
Christian von Friis zu Friisenborg (born January 28, 1691 , † June 23, 1763 in Frijsenborg ) was a royal Danish major general and chief of the Oldenburg cavalry regiment and liege count of Frijsenborg. With him, the Friis line died out.
His parents were Count Niels von Friis zu Friisenborg (* June 22, 1665 - February 5, 1699) and his wife Christine Sofia von Reventlow (* October 30, 1672 - June 27, 1757), daughter of Conrad von Reventlow . The widow then married Ulrich Adolph von Holstein-Holsteinborg (1664–1737).
He went into Danish service and received the character of a Rittmeister on August 23, 1709 and was accepted into the General Staff . On September 13, 1709 he went with the 3rd Jutland National Equestrian Regiment in Anglo-Dutch pay to Brabant in the War of the Spanish Succession . In the following year on April 5, 1710 he was Rittmeister in the Life Guard, on May 29, 1711 he became a lieutenant colonel, shortly afterwards on October 2, 1711 he was also adjutant general of the king. On July 18, 1712 he was given the character of a colonel. During the battle of Gadebusch on December 20, 1712, he was also the adjutant general there . In 1714 he received the Danebrog Order (White Knight). On November 6, 1717, he finally became a real colonel and was given the Dewitz cavalry regiment . From 1734 to 1735 he led a cuirassier regiment on the imperial pay. In 1740 he also became a secret conference councilor. In 1755 he received the Elephant Order , on November 28, 1755, on the birthday of the King-Widow Sophie Magdalena, he also received the Ordre de l'union parfaite .
He died on June 23, 1763 as the last male representative of his sex, buried in the church of Hammel.
He married on January 14, 1711 in the castle church of Christiansborg Öllegaard von Gersdorf Elisabeth Sofie von Skeel (* 1687; † July 13, 1734 in Frankfurt), who was a daughter of Friedrich von Gersdorf and Elisabeth Sofie von Skeel . The couple had five daughters:
- Frederike Luise (born December 29, 1711; † 1717)
- Christine Sophie (born January 22, 1713; † October 5, 1787) ⚭ Erhard von Wedel-Friis (1710–1786)
- Elisabeth Sophie (* May 1, 1714; † June 18, 1799) ⚭ 1751 Johan Henrik Desmercières (* 1687; March 15, 1778)
- Brigitte Christine (* July 22, 1715; † July 5, 1775) ⚭ 1733 Carl Christian von Gram (* July 23, 1703; † Jan 24, 1780)
- Sophie Hedevig (January 20, 1717 - June 4, 1777) ⚭ 1736 Ove Frederiksen Juul (May 1700 - April 4, 1766), Lieutenant General
- Jonathan Smith: On the history of the Oldenburg army during the Danish period 1667–1773 in Oldenburger Jahrbücher, 1940/41, p. 64
|SURNAME||Friis zu Friisenborg, Christian von|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Frijs-Frijsenborg, Christian von|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||royal Danish major general and chief of the Oldenburg cavalry regiment|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 28, 1691|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 23, 1763|
|Place of death||Frijsenborg|