life and work
David Klammer studied communication design at the Folkwangschule Essen with Angela Neuke and Klaus Armbruster . After graduating in 1996, he worked as a photographer for major German and several international magazines such as Stern, Geo, Time, Die Zeit and others.
Since 2006 David Klammer has been working increasingly on independent projects that he finances himself or through grants. Among other things, he realized a work on Bhopal twenty years after the disaster with a grant from VG Bild . With a freelance work on soccer fans at the public viewings during the 2006 World Cup, he won a World Press Photo Award 2007 (3rd Prize Sports Feature Series). David Klammer has been a member of the Laif photo agency since 2007.
David Klammer's photographs show people interacting with their environment. However, in his later works he shows the protagonists photographed in an isolated setting. The strongly darkened background gives the pictures a stage effect.
- 1997 Galerie Lichtblick, Cologne: "Hijra, the third gender of India"
- Photo days Herten: "Flood in the Oderbruch"
- 2005 catalog, April, Mes International de la Fotografia, Mexico, Yucatan
- Photo days Mannheim: "The bridge project, 24 hours, 24 photographers
- 2006 Galerie Freelens, Hamburg "" Act of Faith, Part One "
- Photo festival Rencontre Arles, France: "Age of Kali, Aids in India"
- PhotoEspana06 Madrid, Spain "Age of Kali: Aids in India"
- 2007 Houston, Texas "Contemporary German Photography: Toy Soldiers"
- Noorderlicht Photo Festival Groningen, Netherlands: "Soccer Fans"
- 2011 Tampere, Finland: Backlight Festival "Migration and Nomadic Living"
- 2012 Tbilisi, Georgia: Kolga Photo Festival
- 1997 BFF award for the best photo diploma for the work "Hijra, the third gender of India"
- 1997 DAAD scholarship
- 2004 VG Bild grant for "1000 Bhopals"
- 2007 World Press Photo, third prize in the "Sports Feature Series" category
- 2010 VG Bild grant for "Hard Work"
- 2012 German Science Photography 1st Report Award for "Adhesive Research at the Fraunhofer Institute Bremen"
- 2017 Kolga Tbilisi Photo: 1st Price Conceptual Photography for "The Last Utopia"
- 2019 Prize for Political Photography: 1st Prize Series for "Hambach Forest"
- 2019 NRW press photo prize: 2nd prize for "Ende Gelaende"
- David Klammer's website
- Website of the agency laif
- World Press Photo website
- Photo series by David Klammer in the Pixelprojekt_Ruhrgebiet
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German photographer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1961|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|