Diebold Schilling the Younger
He was the son of Hans Schilling, the older brother Diebold Schilling the Elder , who wrote the Bern Chronicle . From 1479 Diebold was the younger notary in Lucerne and from 1481 also a priest. In contrast to his uncle, he was a rather scandalous and colorful figure. In 1487 he was locked in the tower by the Lucerne Council, relieved of his benefice and only released two years later after he had promised to behave in an honorable and priestly manner in the future. But even after that he was involved in all kinds of quarrels, and after a night-time scuffle that ended in manslaughter, he was obliged by the council to pay a fine and an annual funeral mass for the victim. His former home, the Rothenburgerhaus (today: St. Leodegarstrasse 13), still exists.
He presented his chronicle, the so-called Lucerne Chronicle , to the council on January 15, 1513. Politically, Schilling tended towards the Habsburg Maximilian , who personally invited him to the Reichstag in Constance in 1507 .
Images from the Lucerne Chronicle
The Bishop of Genoa travels to Zurich to recruit mercenaries for Milan / Jörg Supersaxo is arrested in Lucerne
- Carl Gerhard Baumann: About the origin of the oldest Swiss illustrated chronicles (1468–1485). Writings from the Berner Burgerbibliothek, Bern 1971.
- Norbert H. Ott: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 22, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2005, ISBN 3-428-11203-2 , p. 771 f. ( ). In:
- Carl Pfaff : The Schilling family . In: Alfred A. Schmid (Hrsg.): The Swiss picture chronicle of Lucerne's Diebold Schilling 1513 . Lucerne 1981, pp. 535-540.
- Carl Pfaff: The world of Swiss picture chronicles. Edition 91, Schwyz 1991, ISBN 3-905515-01-7 .
- Georg von Wyß: Schilling, Diebold (Lucerne chronicler) . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 34, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1892, p. 717 f.
- Fritz Glauser: Schilling, Diebold. In: Historical Lexicon of Switzerland .
- Facsimile of the Lucerne Chronicle
|SURNAME||Schilling, Diebold the Younger|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss chronicler|
|DATE OF BIRTH||before 1460|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||unsure: Haguenau|
|DATE OF DEATH||around November 3, 1515|
|Place of death||Lucerne|