From 1961 Eckart Henning studied history, historical auxiliary sciences , German, philosophy and education at the universities of Berlin, Vienna and Marburg . After completing his studies, he initially worked as a research assistant at the Free University of Berlin . As a trainee lawyer at the Secret State Archives , he completed the archival preparatory service at the Marburg Archive School from 1970 to 1972 . He began his archival career in 1972 at the Secret State Archive of Prussian Cultural Heritage before he was appointed director of the archive of the Max Planck Society in 1984, which he managed until his retirement in 2006. In 1981 he was promoted to Dr. phil. PhD. The subject of his dissertation was The princes of Henneberg-Schleusingen in the age of the Reformation .
Henning is honorary professor for archival studies and historical auxiliary sciences of modern times at the Humboldt University in Berlin , founder of the Herold yearbook and a member of the Académie Internationale d'Héraldique in Geneva as well as other professional societies at home and abroad.
As chairman, he is in charge of the presentation of the Johann Christoph Gatterer Medal for scientific merits in the field of genealogy and heraldry.
- with Marion Kazemi : Chronicle of the Kaiser Wilhelm, Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science: 1911–2011; Data and sources (= 100 years of Kaiser Wilhelm, Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science , Part 1). Duncker and Humblot, Berlin 2011, ISBN 978-3-428-13623-0 .
- with Marion Kazemi: Chronicle of the Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science 1948–1998. 2 volumes. Duncker and Humblot, Berlin 1998, ISBN 3-428-09068-3 .
- Scientific members of the Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science in the picture. Compiled by Eckart Henning and Dirk Ullmann. With the collaboration of Marion Kazemi . Duncker and Humblot, Berlin 1998, ISBN 3-428-09068-3 .
- with Friedrich Beck (Ed.): The archival sources. With an introduction to the historical auxiliary sciences. Böhlau Verlag, Cologne, Weimar, Vienna, 5th expanded and updated edition 2012 (= UTB No. 8273; 1st edition 1994).
- Archival materials and archivists of Prussia. Selected essays. Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2013, ISBN 978-3-428-13919-4 (with a preface by Jürgen Kloosterhuis ; with curriculum vitae ).
- Auxilia Historica. Contributions to the historical auxiliary sciences and their interrelations . 3. Edition. Böhlau, Cologne / Weimar / Vienna 2015, ISBN 978-3-412-22430-1 .
- Literature by and about Eckart Henning in the catalog of the German National Library
- Short biography
- Bibliography, as of 2000. (PDF)
- GenWiki, DAGV / Gatterer-Medaille , February 7, 2012, accessed March 2012.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German archivist and historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 27, 1940|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|