Live and act
Profos studied piano at the Winterthur Conservatory with Hans-Jürg Strub and composition with Roland Moser at the Conservatory of the Music Academy of the City of Basel and with Wladimir Tarnopolski at the Moscow Conservatory. He wrote compositions for orchestras, ensembles, soloists, electronics and video, which were performed in many European countries and overseas, at festivals such as Gaudeamus Amsterdam, Berliner Festspiele, Donaueschinger Musiktage, Jeune Musique Marseille, Foro de Musica Nueva in Mexico City, on the European Music Month Basel and at the Swiss Tonkünstlerfest. He wrote for Ensemble mae, Steamboat Switzerland, Barton Workshop, De Ereprijs, Blum-Kordzaia, Azeotrop, the Orchester Musikkollegium Winterthur, the septet Forcemajeure and the Chamber Orchestra Basel as well as soundtracks for the visual artists Andro Wekua and Agnieszka Kalinowska. He is married to the pianist Tamriko Kordzaia, for whom he also composes.
Profos has been teaching composition and music theory as a professor at the Zurich University of the Arts since 2002 . In his opinion, the composers must take greater account of the fact that the audience needs recognizable structures, such as those used in pop or classical music, in order to be able to orientate themselves. Since 2005 he has been the program director of the Close Encounters festival , which takes place in Georgia and Switzerland.
Prizes and awards
In 1999 Profos received the composition prize at the International Young Composer's Meeting in Apeldoorn . In 2003 he received a fellowship from the Civitella Ranieri Foundation in New York.
- Felix Profos / Steamboat Switzerland Get Out of My Room (Grob, 2010, with Dominik Blum , Marino Pliakas , Lucas Niggli )
- Felix Profos / Azeotrop Bock (Deszpot, 2014, with Dominik Blum, Peter Conradin Zumthor )
- Forcemajeure Lingua Mortuorum (2011, with Vera Kappeler , Raphael Camenisch, Sebastian Pottmeier, Christian Weber , John Eckhardt , Lucas Niggli)
- Web presence
- Entry (Musinfo - La Base de Données de la Musique Suisse)
- Entry (ZHdK)
- Felix Profos at Discogs (English)
- How New Music leaves its listeners lonely dissonance 122, June 2013, pp. 4–8.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss composer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||17th November 1969|