The oldest known ancestor was Guido Gallarati, patrician in Milan († after 1340). His descendant Pietro Gallarati († after 1477) was envoy of the Duchy of Milan to the Curia and in Florence. In 1465 he acquired the Cozzo reign and the Sant'Angelo Lomellina reign in 1467 and the Candia Lomellina reign in 1676 , both of which ruled the family until 1797. The castle in Cozzo is still inhabited by the family today.
The descendant Carlo Gallarati (1615–1679) was made Marchese di Cerano in 1647 ; Parts of the family's palazzo there still exist. His great-grandson Don Giovanni Battista Gallarati added that of the Count Scotti to his family name, whom he inherited; his wife was Maria Teresa Spinola , daughter of Principe di Molfetta. At the end of the 17th century, the couple built the Villa Gallarati Scotti in Oreno near Vimercate , a magnificent baroque castle that is now rented out as a conference center. From the Spinola they took over the Palazzo Gallarati Scotti in Milan, which was still under construction at that time and which the family also lives in to this day.
Her grandson Don Carlo Gallarati-Scotti (1775–1840), 6th Marchese di Cerano, was recognized in 1828/1831 as heir to the title of Spinola, Principe di Molfetta , as the Spanish-Neapolitan nobility law stipulated the title when the family in charge of it died out or line can also be passed on through the female line. He had therefore inherited the title of Duke of San Pietro in Galatina (Spanish: Duque de San Pedro de Galatino ) in 1801 , which Philip IV had bestowed on Giovanni Battista Spinola in 1621 in the Kingdom of Naples . The titles are passed on in Primogenitur , those born later carry the title Marchese .
Today's head of the family has been Don Fulco Tommaso Gallarati-Scotti, 7th Principe di Molfetta, 13th Duca di San Pietro in Galatina (* 1967) since 2013. He is also the owner of Villa Melzi in Bellagio on Lake Como, which came to her son Tommaso Gallarati Scotti , 4th Principe di Molfetta (1878–1966) via Maria Luisa Melzi d'Eril .
Princes of Molfetta, Dukes of San Pietro in Galatina
- Carlo Giuseppe Gallarati-Scotti, 1828/1831 1st Principe di Molfetta, 7th Duca di San Pietro in Galatina, 5th Marchese di Cerano (1775–1840)
- Tommaso Gallarati-Scotti, 2nd Principe di Molfetta, 8th Duca di San Pietro in Galatina (1819–1905)
- Gian Carlo Gallarati-Scotti, 3rd Principe di Molfetta, 9th Duca di San Pietro in Galatina (1854–1927)
- Tommaso Gallarati Scotti , 4th Principe di Molfetta, 10th Duca di San Pietro in Galatina (1878–1966), writer and diplomat
- Giovanni Carlo, 5th Principe di Molfetta, 11th Duca di San Pietro in Galatina
- Lodovico Gallarati-Scotti, 6th Principe di Molfetta, 12th Duca di San Pietro in Galatina (1923–2013)
- Don Fulco Tommaso Gallarati-Scotti, 7th Principe di Molfetta, 13th Duca di San Pietro in Galatina (* 1967)
More name bearers
- Attilia Lanza: Milano ei suoi palazzi: Porta Vercellina, Comasina e Nuova, Milano 1993