Hans-Christoph Schröder (born July 17, 1933 in Rathenow near Berlin ; † February 8, 2019 in Darmstadt ) was a German historian .
Schröder received his doctorate in 1966 under Theodor Schieder with a thesis on the SPD's confrontation with the problem of imperialism before the First World War . In 1973 he was appointed Professor of Modern History at the Technical University of Darmstadt as the successor to Helmut Boehmes , President of the TH Darmstadt . In 1995 Böhme returned to the professorship for Modern History, which was held twice until Schröder's retirement in 1998. Schröder did research on the history of England and the USA, political radicalism , Western European revolutions , imperialism and the German labor movement . He was an expert on British constitutional history and presented authoritative publications on Puritanism, the English and American revolutions of the early modern period, as well as an "English History" that was reprinted several times. His keen interest in literature was reflected, among other things, in a political biography of George Orwell.
- Socialism and imperialism. The conflict of the German social democracy with the imperialism problem and the "world politics" before 1914 (= series of publications of the research institute of the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung. 62, ZDB -ID 504093-0 ). Part 1. Verlag für Literatur und Zeitgeschehen, Hannover 1968, (At the same time: Cologne, University, Dissertation, 1966; 2nd, revised and slightly changed edition. Verlag Neue Gesellschaft, Bonn-Bad Godesberg 1975, ISBN 3-87831-112-5 ).
- Socialist interpretation of imperialism. Studies on their history (= Kleine Vandenhoeck series. 375). Vandenhoeck & Rupprecht, Göttingen 1973, ISBN 3-525-33335-8 .
- Imperialism and anti-democratic thinking. Alfred Milner's criticism of the political system in England (= Institute for European History Mainz. Lectures. 68). Steiner, Wiesbaden 1978, ISBN 3-515-02760-2 .
- Gustav Noske and the colonial policy of the German Empire (= International Library. 117). Dietz, Berlin et al. 1979, ISBN 3-8012-1117-7 .
- The American Revolution. An introduction. Beck, Munich 1982, ISBN 3-406-08603-9 .
- The revolutions of England in the 17th century (= edition suhrkamp . 1279 = NF Bd. 279). Suhrkamp, Frankfurt am Main 1986, ISBN 3-518-11279-1 .
- George Orwell. An intellectual biography. Beck, Munich 1988, ISBN 3-406-33361-3 .
- English history (= Beck series. 2016 CH Beck Wissen ). Beck, Munich 1995, ISBN 3-406-39699-2 (numerous editions, most recently 7th edition 2017).
- with Hans-Dieter Metzger: Aspects of the French Revolution (= THD series of publications on science and technology. 55). Lecture series organized by the Institute for History at Faculty 2 of the Technical University of Darmstadt. Technische Hochschule, Darmstadt 1992, ISBN 3-88607-079-4 (= TUD series of publications on science and technology, volume 55).
- ↑ The institute mourns the loss of Prof. Dr. Hans-Christoph Schröder. Institute for History, TU Darmstadt, accessed on February 21, 2019 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 17, 1933|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Rathenow near Berlin|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 8, 2019|
|Place of death||Darmstadt|