In his 16 mm films, Hans Scheugl often dealt with the problem of real time / film time and in his expanded cinema campaigns with film as material and presentation. In 1968 he founded together with Ernst Schmidt jr. , Kurt Kren , Peter Weibel , Valie Export and Gottfried Schlemmer founded the “Austria Filmmakers Cooperative”. In the 80s and 90s, feature films and documentaries were made . a. for television ( ORF ).
Since the 1960s he has published in magazines and catalogs and since 1974 books on the subjects of film, theater, art and philosophy. He took part in numerous film festivals, including in Berlin , Rotterdam , New York, London and Calcutta .
- Solo exhibitions:
- "Photo portraits 1958-1995". Brasilica Gallery. Vienna 1996.
- "Documentary and staged portraits. Photos 1958–1995. Antiquarian bookshop and gallery Wögenstein. Vienna 2000.
- "The Filmmaker's Photographs". Wien Museum 2012/13.
- "X-Screen. Cinematic installations and actions of the sixties and seventies", MuMoK Vienna 2003/04.
- "Wiener Linien - Art and City Observation since 1960", Wien Museum 2004.
- "Open Systems: Rethinking Art around 1970". Tate Modern 2005.
- "Big Bang. La Pelicule du Chaos". Center Pompidou 2006.
- Militia in the morning of 1966
- Vienna 17, Schumanngasse 1967
- Hernals 1967
- Safety film 1968
- zzz: Hamburg special 1968
- Eroticon sublim 1968
- The Voyeur 1968
- Sugar Daddies 1968
- homage to alfred hitchcock project 1968
- The place of time 1985
- What the night speaks 1986
- No Danube - Kurt Kren and his films 1988
- Black / White 1990
- Rutt Deen 1993
- (Calcutta) GO 1993
- Prince of Peace 1993
- Homeless New York 1990 (Recut by Black / White) 2013
- May 1, 2004 2013
- "Dear John" 2014/15
- A sub-story of the film. Lexicon of avant-garde, experimental and underground films ; together with Ernst Schmidt jr., ed. Suhrkamp, Frankfurt a. M. 1974
- Sexuality and Neurosis in the Film . Hanser Verlag, Munich 1974
- Show freaks & monsters . DuMont, Cologne 1974
- Scheugl (Ed.): Ex Underground. Kurt Kren, his films . PVS publisher, Vienna 1996
- The absolute. A story of ideas of modernity . Springer, Vienna / New York 1999
- Extended cinema. The Viennese films of the 1960s . Triton, Vienna 2002
- The film of the early years. Herbert Vesely and the new German film . Viennale catalog, Vienna 2006
- Sex and power. A meta-narrative of 20th century American cinema . Butterfly publishing house, Stuttgart 2007
- Peter Weibel (with Valie Export ): Image Compendium Wiener Aktionismus und Film ; Frankfurt a. M .: Kohlkunstverlag, 1970
- Birgit Hein : Film in the Underground ; Frankfurt a. M.-Berlin-Vienna: Ullstein, 1971
- Stephen Dwoskin : Film Is. The International Free Cinema ; Woodstock, NY: The Overlook Press, 1975.
- Birgit Hein u. Wulf Herzogenrath (Ed.): Film als Film 1910 to today ; Kölnischer Kunstverein, 1978
- Alexander Horwath, Lisl Ponger a . Gottfried Schlemmer (Ed.): Avantgardefilm Austria. 1950 until today ; Vienna: Wasp Nest, 1995
- Elisabeth Büttner and Christian Dewald: Connection to Tomorrow . Salzburg: Residenz Verlag, 1997
- Dietmar Schwärzler: American cinema as a meta-narrative . Conversation with Hans Scheugl. Colic 9/2008, Vienna.
- Peter Tscherkassky (Ed.): "Film Unframed. A History of Austrian Avant-Garde Cinema"; Vienna: FilmmuseumSynema, 2012
- Werner Michael Schwarz (Ed.): "Hans Scheugl. The Filmmaker's Photographs"; Catalog. Vienna Museum 2012.
- Hans Scheugl: The Seconds Strike Reality (selection of films from the 60s, 80s and 90s)
- Hans Scheugl: No Danube - Kurt Kren and his films, in: Kurt Kren: Which Way to CA?
- Literature by and about Hans Scheugl in the catalog of the German National Library
- Hans Scheugl in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Hans Scheugl's website
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian filmmaker and author|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 20, 1940|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|