Hanzel and Gretyl
|Hanzel and Gretyl|
|Genre (s)||Alternative metal , industrial rock , breakbeat , drum & bass|
|Kaizer from Loopy|
Vocals , electric guitar
Hanzel and Gretyl is an American metal band formed in New York in 1993 by Kaizer von Loopy and Vas Kallas.
In 1993 Kaizer von Loopy and Vas Kallas founded Hanzel and Gretyl. Kallas had previously sung with Cycle Sluts from Hell , among others . The joint project was named after the well-known fairy tale Hansel and Gretel , the two members took on the role of the two protagonists and moved the plot into the future. Every publication should represent a facet of the fairy tale. After the release of their Demos Children's Music (1994), a song appeared on the compilation COP International Chaos . Because of this song Energy Records became aware of the group and signed them in 1995.
In 1995 the first album Ausflippt (Energy Records) was released. With Ginger Bread (bass) and Pat 5000 (drums) two musicians were engaged for live concerts. The group performed as a support band for Marilyn Manson from 1995 to 1996 . In 1997, Transmissions from Uranus was published . The band then toured both as headliners and with greats like Prong , Slipknot , Rammstein and Rob Halfords Fight. 9D Galactic Center appeared on the soundtrack of the movie Mortal Kombat 2 - Annihilation that same year . A live performance at the MTV Video Music Awards 1997 made the group known to a wider audience. Despite this brilliant start, the group was unable to expand their success because their label Energy Records had to cease operations, but the band did not approve.
It was not until 2002, after Energy Records was dissolved, that the group was free and found a new label with Metropolis Records . Über Alles was released in 2002, the live cast now consisted of Anna K. ( Drain STH ) and Jon Osterman ( Into Darkness ). In 2004 Scheissmessiah was released . The group then appeared in the opening act for Ministry and took on their drummer Mark Barker as the new drummer.
In 2006 the EP Oktötenfest was released in 2006 . The band toured the US as a headliner. In 2008 the album was released in 2012: Twenty Twelve . In 2010 the band played at the M'era Luna Festival .
In 2012 the album Born to be Heiled was released; Black Forest Metal was released in 2014 . In 2017, Kaizer von Loopy released the debut album Reichstar under his solo project Kyzrwölf , which stylistically ties in with the music of Hanzel and Gretyl. In 2018 the band released the album Satanik Germanik , which continues the style of its predecessor.
Hanzel and Gretyl initially mixed elements from industrial rock with breakbeat and drum-and-bass rhythms. With the album Über alles , the music became significantly more metal- heavy, the breakbeats took a back seat in favor of conventional rock structures and powerful double bass fills. The current style can be described as a mixture of alternative metal , industrial metal and influences of the New German hardness . The band often uses samples, for example from political speeches, or excerpts from songs by Kraftwerk ( I am above everything ).
In their lyrics they often use German words (especially in Über alles , Scheissmessiah and 2012: Zwanzig Zwölf ) and clear symbols from German history . Especially in the 2012 album : Twenty Twelve , “Sieg-Heil” samples were often used. When provoked with Nazi symbolism in combination with ungrammatical German texts, e.g. B. “I am the herb with the big schnitzel!” ( Text fragment from the song Fukken Über Death Party from the album 2012: Twenty Twelve ), you move between cynicism and satire .
- 1995: freaked out
- 1997: Transmissions from Uranus
- 2003: About everything
- 2004: Shit Messiah
- 2008: 2012: twenty twelve
- 2012: Born to be Heiled
- 2014: Black Forest Metal
- 2018: Satanik Germanik
- 2019: Witches Night
Demos, Singles & EPs
- 1994: Children's music ( demo )
- 1995: Shine 2001 ( MCD / 12 ")
- 1997: Take Me to Your Leader (MCD)
- 2006: Oktoberfest 2006 ( EP )
- Official website
- MySpace presence
- Hanzel and Gretyl at Allmusic (English)
- Hanzel and Gretyl at Discogs (English)
- Hanzel and Gretyl on MusicBrainz (English)
- ↑ a b c Official biography. (No longer available online.) Official website, archived from the original on August 6, 2010 ; Retrieved August 23, 2010 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- ^ Hanzel and Gretyl> Biography . Retrieved July 29, 2010.
- ↑ Soundtrack of the movie Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. Internet Movie Database , accessed August 23, 2010 .
- ↑ Hanzel and Gretyl - About Everything - CD Review. Metal.de , accessed on August 23, 2010 .
- ^ Breda Maßmann: Review of "Transmissions from Uranus" , New Life Soundmagazine, Issue 3/98, p. 47, March 1998