Harro Heuser studied mathematics and physics at the University of Tübingen from 1948 to 1954 and graduated with the state examination. He was then in Tübingen with a study on 1,957 operators with finite defects at Helmut Wielandt doctorate . In 1962 he completed his habilitation at the University of Karlsruhe . In the following year he became a professor at the University of Education in Kiel (today part of the University of Kiel ), in 1964 Scientific Councilor and adjunct professor at the University of Mainz . In 1968 he was appointed full professor at the University of Karlsruhe and worked there until his retirement in 1996. Harro Heuser also held visiting professorships in the USA, Colombia, Canada and Italy.
Especially after his retirement, Harro Heuser also wrote popular science books in which he primarily dealt with cultural-historical aspects of mathematics and physics - especially the history of ideas . His textbooks are also characterized by detailed historical notes.
- With Heinz Günther Tillmann as editor: Funkkolleg Mathematik. An introduction in 2 volumes. Fischer-Taschenbuch-Verlag, Frankfurt am Main 1974, ISBN 3-436-01416-8 .
- Functional analysis. Theory and application. Teubner, Wiesbaden 1975 (4th revised edition, ibid 2006, ISBN 3-8351-0026-2 ).
- Analysis textbook. Part 1. Vieweg + Teubner, Wiesbaden 1980, ISBN 3-519-02221-4 (17th updated edition, ibid. 2009, ISBN 978-3-8348-0777-9 ).
- Analysis textbook. Part 2. Vieweg + Teubner, Wiesbaden 1981, ISBN 3-519-02222-2 (14th updated edition, ibid. 2008, ISBN 978-3-8351-0208-8 ).
- With Hellmuth Wolf: Algebra, Functional Analysis and Coding. An introduction for engineers. Teubner, Stuttgart 1986, ISBN 3-519-02954-5 .
- Ordinary differential equations. Introduction to teaching and use. Teubner, Stuttgart 1989, ISBN 3-519-02227-3 (6th updated edition. Vieweg + Teubner, Stuttgart 2009, ISBN 978-3-8348-0705-2 ).
- When the gods learned to laugh. Greek thinkers change the world. Piper, Munich et al. 1992, ISBN 3-492-03495-0 (Unabridged paperback edition, 2nd edition. Piper, Munich et al. 1997, ISBN 3-492-22328-1 (= Piper series 2328)).
- The magic of numbers. From a strange desire to order the world (= Herder spectrum 5439). Herder, Freiburg (Breisgau) et al. 2003, ISBN 3-451-05439-6 .
- The physicist of God. Isaac Newton or The Revolution of Thought (= Herder spectrum 5591). Herder, Freiburg (Breisgau) et al. 2005, ISBN 3-451-05591-0 .
- Infinities. News from the Grand Canyon of the Mind. Teubner, Wiesbaden 2008, ISBN 978-3-8351-0119-7 .
- Kürschner's German Scholars Calendar 2007, p. 1409
- Biographical note of the publisher in Textbook of Analysis - Part 1 and When the gods learned to laugh.
- Obituary on Prof. Harro Heuser - website of the University of Karlsruhe
- Albert kauflein: Harro Heuser, mathematician , in the Konradsblatt of July 10, 2005
- Literature by and about Harro Heuser in the catalog of the German National Library
- Harro Heuser in the Mathematics Genealogy Project
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German mathematician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 26, 1927|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Nasta|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 21, 2011|