Ebbinghaus studied mathematics and physics at the University of Münster , where he received his doctorate in 1967 under Hans Hermes (on predicate logic with partially defined predicates and functions and an application to equation theory). With Hermes he also went to Freiburg im Breisgau as an assistant (1967), where he then worked as a professor for mathematical logic at the Albert Ludwigs University of Freiburg until his retirement .
Ebbinghaus wrote several textbooks on set theory , mathematical logic and model theory and is editor of the works of the logician Ernst Zermelo (who also worked in Freiburg) (the first volume was published in 2010 by Springer Verlag) and his biographer.
- Numbers and lines or the blue horse , Books on Demand, Norderstedt, 2nd edition 2015, ISBN 978-3-7386-9348-5
- Introduction to set theory , Spektrum Verlag 2003, ISBN 3-8274-1411-3 .
- with Volker Peckhaus : Ernst Zermelo - an approach to his life and work , Springer 2007.
- with Jörg Flum: Finite Model Theory , Springer, 2nd edition 2006.
- with Jörg Flum and Wolfgang Thomas: Introduction to mathematical logic , Spektrum Verlag, 5th edition 2007.
- with Jörg Flum: Mathematical Logic , Springer, 2nd edition 1994
- with Hans Hermes , Friedrich Hirzebruch (editor): Numbers , Springer Verlag, 3rd edition 1992 (also translated into English, French, Japanese; in it by Ebbinghaus: Set theory and mathematics).
- with Gerhard Vollmer: thinking on the move. Fifteen meta-scientific excursions , Hirzel Verlag 1992.
- Omega-Bibliography of Mathematical Logic: Model Theory, Springer 1987.
- with Konrad Jacobs : Selecta Mathematica, vol. 2, Springer, 1970 (in it by Ebbinghaus: Turing machines and calculable functions 1–3, enumerability).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German mathematician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 22, 1939|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Hemer|