Konrad Jacobs (* August 24, 1928 in Rostock ; † July 26, 2015 in Bamberg ) was a German mathematician who mainly dealt with probability theory , combinatorics , information theory and dynamic systems .
Jacobs went to high school in Munich, studied mathematics and physics in Munich and Hamburg from 1947 to 1954 and received his doctorate in 1954 at the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich under Wilhelm Maak ("An Ergodic Set for Limited Groups in Hilbert's Area"). From 1956 to 1958 he was an assistant in Munich, where he completed his habilitation in 1957. In 1959 he became professor for mathematical statistics in Göttingen . In 1965 he was appointed to the then newly created chair for mathematical statistics at the Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg , where he represented the theory of measure and probability with Heinz Bauer (1928–2002). He was especially known for his work on ergodic theory , about which he also wrote a book in Springer's series of results. In addition, Jacobs did a series of books to "popularize" mathematics.
His doctoral students include Thomas Beth , Joachim Rosenmüller , Volker Strassen , Ulrich Krengel , Michael Keane , Rudolf Ahlswede , Manfred Denker , Hans Föllmer and Hans-Otto Georgii . Many of his PhD students became professors.
Jacobs was also involved in photography and had a large collection of photo portraits by mathematicians from around the world and from different eras. In 2005 Prof. Jacobs transferred his entire collection to the Mathematical Research Institute in Oberwolfach , and many of his photos are also used in Wikipedia .
- as an author
- Newer methods and results of the ergodic theory . Springer, Berlin 1960 (results of mathematics and its border areas / new series; vol. 29).
- Introduction to combinatorics . 2nd edition De Gruyter, Berlin 2004, ISBN 3-11-016727-1 (together with Dieter Jungnickel ).
- Measure and Integral . Academic Press, New York 1978, ISBN 0-12-378550-2 (Probability and mathematical statistics).
- Discrete stochastics . Birkhäuser, Basel 1992, ISBN 3-7643-2591-7 (Basel textbooks; 3).
- Results. Ideas and developments in mathematics . Vieweg, Braunschweig 1987/90 (created after a lecture for philosophers).
- Samples of mathematical thinking . 1987, ISBN 3-528-08980-6 .
- The structure of math . 1990, ISBN 3-528-08981-4 .
- Invitation to Mathematics . Princeton University Press, 1992, ISBN 0-691-02528-2 (translation of the first volume of the "Results")
- Recent results in mathematics . In: Naturwissenschaften , Vol. 69 (1982), pp. 21-28.
- as editor
- Selecta Mathematica . Springer, Berlin 1969/79
- Konrad Jacobs: Machine-generated 0-1 sequences. Red and black. ES Andersen's equivalence principle . The combinatorial arcsin laws of G. Baxter and J. Imhof. The marriage rate . 1969 (Heidelberger Taschenbücher; 48).
- Heinz-Dieter Ebbinghaus u. a. Turing machines and calculable functions . Konrad Jacobs Turing machines and random 0-1 episodes . Hans Hermes decision problem and domino games . Ebbinghaus decidability . 1970 (Heidelberger Taschenbücher; 67).
- Nicolaas Govert de Bruijn Pólya's counting theory. Pattern for graphs and chemical compounds . Gerhard Ringel The card coloring problem . Anatole Beck , MN Bleicher incorporation of convex sets into a similar set . Jacobs extremal points of convex sets . HR Müller trochoidal envelopes and rotary piston machines . 1971 (Heidelberger Taschenbücher; 71). The last article deals with the geometry of the Wankel engine .
- Konrad Jacobs: Some basic concepts of topological dynamics . Poincaŕes recurrence . Uniform distribution mod 1 . Markov processes with finitely many states . Joachim Rosenmüller economic fluctuations . 1972, ISBN 3-540-05782-X (Heidelberger Taschenbücher; 98).
- Anatole Beck A paradox. The hare and the turtle . Hermann Boerner's calculus of variations à la Caratheodory and the Zermelosche navigation problem . Michael Keane Geodetic Currents . Helmut Rüßmann Convergent series developments in the perturbation theory of celestial mechanics . 1979, ISBN 3-540-09407-5 (Heidelberger Taschenbücher; 201). The essay by Rüssmann deals with the KAM theory .
Some publications available online :
- Jacobs "Newer Results of Ergodic Theory", DMV Annual Report 1965
- Jacobs "On the theory of Markoff processes", Mathematische Annalen 1957
- Jacobs "Ergodic theory and almost periodic functions on semigroups", Mathematische Zeitschrift 1956
- Jacobs "On the transmission of discrete information through periodic and near-periodic channels", Mathematische Annalen 1959
- Ulrich Krengel : Probability Theory . In: Gerd Fischer (ed.): A century of mathematics, 1890–1990. Festschrift for the anniversary of the DMV . Vieweg, Braunschweig 1990, ISBN 3-528-06326-2 .
- Hans Ilgauds, Karl H. Schlote, Siegfried Gottwald (ed.): Lexicon of important mathematicians . Bibliographisches Institut, Leipzig 1990, ISBN 3-323-00319-5 .
- Literature by and about Konrad Jacobs in the catalog of the German National Library
- Konrad Jacobs in the Mathematics Genealogy Project (English)
- to Jacobs on the Stochastics page in Göttingen
- Obituary from the University of Erlangen
- Obituary by Ulrich Krengel
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German mathematician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 24, 1928|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Rostock|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 26, 2015|
|Place of death||Bamberg|