Pohl is the son of high school professor Heinz Pohl and his wife Hermine. He studied classical philology and history at the University of Vienna , later comparative linguistics (Indo-European studies) with a focus on Slavic philology .
Pohl worked at the University of Vienna (Institute for General and Indo-European Linguistics) from 1967 to 1972, switched to the then University of Education (now Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt ) in 1972 and has been a university professor for general and diachronic linguistics since 1979 . Pohl has been retired since October 1, 2007, but continues to work in research and teaching.
Most recently, his main research interests are v. a. Location and field name research, German-Slovenian language contact (and historical-linguistic studies on the language of the Carantans ), Bavarian-Austrian dialectology, Austrian German, also historical linguistics, diachronical comparative study of languages and sociolinguistics.
Pohl is a corresponding member of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences , the Working Group for Cartographic Place Names Studies (AKO) and the Standing Committee on Geographical Names / StAGN (Permanent Committee on Geographical Names). Furthermore, he is (in accordance with his work on dialect) a member of the Friends of the Bavarian Language and Dialects e. V. (FBSD, Bavarian Language and Dialects ), which researches and tries to promote the Bavarian dialects in Germany, Austria and Italy (South Tyrol).
From 2000 to 2007 Pohl was chairman of the Viennese mother tongue association . From 2007 he held the office of deputy chairman for several years.
On November 10, 2005, Pohl received the one-player prize of the Council of Carinthian Slovenes (Narodni svet koroških Slovencev) and the Christian Cultural Association (Krščanska kulturna zveza) of the Christian-conservative advocacy organizations of Slovenes in Klagenfurt.
- Little Carinthian dialect, with dictionary . Heyn, Klagenfurt 1989, ISBN 3-85366-545-4 (published again in 2007 as the Small Carinthian Dictionary in the 2nd, greatly expanded edition).
- On the history and independence of Slovenia and Croatia. Background and historical data on the disintegration of Yugoslavia (Klagenfurt Contributions to Linguistics 1-18 / 1991-1992  5-60) .
- Carinthia - German and Slovenian names / Koroška - slovenska in nemška imena . In: Austrian name research. Journal of the Austrian Society for Name Research, Issue 2–3 . Volume 28. Praesens, 2000, ISSN 1028-1495 . Revised under the title: Our Slovenian place names Mohorjeva / Hermagoras, Klagenfurt 2010, ISBN 978-3-7086-0521-0
- The language of Carinthian cuisine . Hermagoras, Klagenfurt 2004, ISBN 978-3-7086-0026-0 .
- Contribution: Slovenian heritage in Carinthia and Austria. An overview . In: Karl Anderwald , Peter Filzmaier, Karl Hren (eds.): Kärntner Jahrbuch für Politik 2005 . Kärntner Druck- und Verlagsgesellschaft, Klagenfurt 2005, ISBN 3-85391-244-3 , p. 127–160 ( 312 pages [PDF; 1.5 MB ]).
- The Austrian kitchen language . A lexicon of typical Austrian culinary specialties (with linguistic explanations). Praesens, Vienna 2007, ISBN 978-3-7069-0452-0 .
- with Birgit Schwaner: The book of Austrian names . Origin - character - meaning. Pichler, Vienna 2007, ISBN 978-3-85431-442-4 .
- Little Carinthian dictionary . 2nd, greatly expanded edition. Heyn, Klagenfurt 2007, ISBN 978-3-7084-0243-7 (first edition: 1989).
- From apple strudel to stewed plums . Small handbook of the Austrian kitchen language. Ueberreuter , Vienna 2008, ISBN 978-3-8000-7369-6 .
- Our Slovenian place names / Naša slovenska krajevna imena . Mohorjeva / Hermagoras, Klagenfurt 2010, ISBN 978-3-7086-0521-0 (285 pages).
- with VI Levizkij: History of the German language . Vinnyzja, Nowa Knyha Verlag 2010 (revised and expanded translation from Ukrainian, ISBN 978-966-382-169-6 , 254 pages)
- The mountain names of the Hohe Tauern (OeAV documents No. 6). Oesterreichischer Alpenverein & Hohe Tauern National Park , Innsbruck 2009 (2nd edition 2011).
- with Willi Seifert: The mountain names of the Zillertal Alps, a special kind of summit book. Ginzling, Hochgebirgs-Naturpark Zillertal Alps 2019 ( https://www.naturpark-zillertal.at/ ; 144 p., 2nd expanded edition in progress). .
- Literature by and about Heinz-Dieter Pohl in the catalog of the German National Library
- Private website. Retrieved on October 19, 2009 (with curriculum vitae and list of publications ).
- To the Carinthian online place name book : http://members.chello.at/heinz.pohl/ON_Start.htm .
- Heinz Dieter Pohl receives one-player award , Council of the Carinthian Slovenes (Narodni svet koroških Slovencev) ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Pohl, Heinz Dieter|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian linguist, name researcher, university professor and author|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 6, 1942|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|