At the British Empire and Commonwealth Games in Kingston in 1966 , he was starting fifth over three miles for Scotland . In 1967 he was fifth at the European Indoor Games in Prague over 3000 m , and in 1969 he won bronze for Scotland at the Cross of Nations .
At the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich, he came eleventh over 5000 m.
From 1967 to 1969 he was three times in a row English indoor champion over two miles or 3000 m. He was three times Scottish champion in the mile run (1965-1967) and once each over 5000 m (1971) and in the cross country (1972).
- 1500 m: 3: 42.21 min, 22 July 1970, Edinburgh
- 1 mile : 3: 56.8 min, June 11, 1969, Reading
- 3000 m: 7: 57.6 min, 1972
- Hall: 7: 56.2 min, February 25, 1967, Lyon
- 5000 m: 13: 19.66 min, July 14, 1972, London
- Athlete portrait at Power of Ten
- Ian McCafferty in the database of TOPS in athletics (English)
- Athlete portrait at the ARRS
- Ian McCafferty in the database of trackfield.brinkster.net (English)
- Ian McCafferty in the Sports-Reference database (archived from the original )
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||McCafferty, Ian John|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British middle and long distance runner|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 24, 1944|