John E. Douglas
Douglas served in the United States Air Force from 1966 to 1970 , when he joined the FBI . He worked first in Detroit and then in Milwaukee as a sniper for the SWAT and later negotiated with hostage takers . In 1977 he was transferred to the Behavioral Analysis Unit and received a teaching position for conducting such negotiations and applied criminal psychology at the FBI Academy. He created the FBI's profiling program against initially not inconsiderable opposition and in 1990 was appointed head of the Investigative Support Unit within the National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime.
Douglas created the FBI's Crime Classification Manual on the basis of interrogations of serial killers who had already been imprisoned, such as David Berkowitz , Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacy . While working on the Green River Killer case , Douglas suffered a near-fatal collapse from encephalitis and overwork. In 1995 he retired. Douglas has three children and lives with his wife in Fredericksburg , Virginia .
- Jefferson Award from the University of Virginia for participation in the study "Sexual Homicide: Patterns and Motives"
- Jefferson Award for the "Crime Classification Manual"
- John Douglas, Mark Olshaker: Hunters in Darkness. ISBN 3-455-15016-0
- John Douglas, Mark Olshaker: The Murderer's Soul 25 years with the FBI's special serial crime unit. ISBN 3-455-15006-3
- John Douglas, Mark Olshaker: Obsessive Murderers The FBI's top agent hunts down sex criminals . ISBN 3-455-11265-X
- John Douglas, Mark Olshaker: Anatomy of the Killer The FBI's top agent reveals the motives of violent criminals. ISBN 3-442-15069-5
- John Douglas, Johnny Dodd: A Murderer's Profile The Long Hunt for the BTK Serial Killer. ISBN 978-3-527-50358-2
- John Douglas, Mark Olshaker: Mindhunter - The FBI's Most Spectacular Serial Crimes Unit. The book for the Netflix original series. ISBN 978-3-7423-1299-0
- http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0235123/bio Bio @ IMDb.com, accessed on August 2, 2008 at 1:36 pm
- Literature by and about John E. Douglas in the catalog of the German National Library
- Homepage (dead link) ( page no longer available , search in web archives )
|SURNAME||Douglas, John E.|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American criminalist and publicist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 18, 1945|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Brooklyn , New York City, USA|