John Richard Urry (born June 1, 1946 in London , † March 18, 2016 in Lancaster , Lancashire ) was a British sociologist. Most recently, he was Distinguished Professor and Director of the Center for Mobilities Research at Lancaster University . His work is particularly influential in social and cultural geography .
Urry studied at the University of Cambridge , where he passed his bachelor and master ’s exams and obtained his Ph.D. received his doctorate. Since 1985 he has been a professor at Lancaster University.
Initially, his research interests were in political power and political revolutions, dealing with various Marxist theorists such as Antonio Gramsci and Louis Althusser . Later, in his research, he turned to social change on a global scale, especially to that associated with increasing mobility.
The University of Roskilde awarded him an honorary doctorate in 2004.
- The end of organized capitalism (with Scott Lash ), Madison (Wisconsin) 1987, ISBN 0299116700
- The Tourist Gaze: Leisure and Travel in Contemporary Societies , London 1990, ISBN 0803981821
- Economies of signs and space (with Scott Lash), London 1994, ISBN 0803984715
- Sociology Beyond Societies: Mobilities for the Twenty-first Century , London / New York 2000, ISBN 0415190894
- Global complexity , Cambridge / Malden 2003, ISBN 0745628176
- Mobilites , Cambridge / Malden. 2007, ISBN 9780745634197
- Climate change and society , Cambridge, UK 2011, ISBN 9780745650364
- Peter Adey and David Bissell: Mobilities, meetings, and futures: an interview with John Urry . In: Environment and Planning D: Society and Space 28, 2010, pp. 1-16.
- Peter Adey: John Urry . In: Key Thinkers on Space and Place , 2nd ed., Ed. by Phil Hubbard and Rob Kitchin, London a. a. 2010, ISBN 9781849201025 , pp. 432-439.
- Literature by and about John Urry in the catalog of the German National Library
- Obituary for John Urry, University of Lancaster
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Urry, John Richard|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British sociologist and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 1, 1946|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||London|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 18, 2016|
|Place of death||Lancaster (Lancashire)|