After graduating from high school, Gerken completed an apprenticeship as a banker. From 1981 to 1991 he studied economics (diploma in economics 1985, doctorate in 1988) and law (first state examination in 1991). Gerken then headed the Walter Eucken Institute in Freiburg im Breisgau from 1991 to 2001 . He completed his habilitation in 1998 at the University of Bayreuth and was qualified to teach economics. He is an honorary professor at Jacobs University in Bremen. From 2001 to 2004 Gerken was a board member of the Market Economy Foundation in Berlin. Since 1999 he has been chairman of the board of the Ordnungspolitik Foundation and board member of the Friedrich-August-von-Hayek-Foundation , since 2006 director of the Center for European Politics . In the meantime, he was the curator of the New Social Market Economy Initiative .
His work focuses on national and international regulatory policy, European integration and competition between locations.
- Of freedom and free trade: Fundamentals of an ordoliberal foreign trade theory . Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen 1999.
- The competition of states . Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen 1999.
- Together with Gerhard Schick: Green order economics: an option for modern economic policy? Metropolis, Marburg 2000 (With contributions by Reinhard Bütikofer; Juergen Donges; Bruno Frey; Ralf Fücks; Lüder Gerken; Lüder Gerken and Gerhard Schick; Herbert Giersch; Rolf Hasse; Guy Kirsch; Rudi Kurz; Joachim Starbatty; Roland Vaubel; Carl Christian von Weizsäcker; among others).
- Together with Jörg Märkt and Gerhard Schick: International tax competition . Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen 2000.
- Walter Eucken and his work. Review of the pioneer of the social market economy . Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen 2000.
- Together with Otto Graf Lambsdorff: Regulatory Policy in the World Economy . Nomos-Verlagsgesellschaft, Baden-Baden 2001 (With articles by Charles Blankart, Rainer Brüderle, Klaus Bünger, Jorgo Chatzimarkakis, Berend Diekmann, Paul Friedhoff, Wolfgang Gerhardt, Lüder Gerken, Otto Graf Lambsdorff, Rolf Hasse, Wolfgang Kerber, Henning Klodt, Ekkehard Kurth, Andreas Pinkwart, Wolf Schäfer, Richard Senti, Hermann-Otto Solms, Thomas Straubhaar, Hans Tietmeyer, Carl-Ludwig Thiele, Roland Vaubel , Guido Westerwelle ).
- Together with Jörg Märkt, Gerhard Schick and Andreas Renner: A liberal supranational federation - on the distribution of tasks in Europe . Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft, Baden-Baden 2002.
- The Constitution of Liberty in the Open Economy . Routledge, London 2004.
- Literature by and about Lüder Gerken in the catalog of the German National Library
- Lüder Gerken's CV (PDF file; 49 kB)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German economist and political scientist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 30, 1958|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bremen|