State Office for the Environment (Brandenburg)
The State Office for the Environment (LfU) is a higher state authority in Brandenburg that performs tasks in the field of the environment. Until the state elections in 2009, the office was called the Brandenburg State Environment Agency . After that it was called the State Office for Environment, Health and Consumer Protection . Since 2016 the office has been called the State Office for the Environment (LfU).
The LfU belongs to the division of the Ministry for Agriculture, Environment and Climate Protection of the State of Brandenburg (MLUL). President is Dirk Ilgenstein.
As a specialist authority, with its seat in Potsdam and its branches in Frankfurt (Oder) and Cottbus, the LfU has to provide services for state and local authorities, for associations and citizens as well as for investors.
Its tasks are:
- Technical support of the ministries, in particular the MLUL, the district administrations and other authorities in all matters of water protection and water management, immission control and emission reduction, nature protection and landscape management, contaminated sites and soil protection,
- Evaluation of studies in these areas, establishment and maintenance of appropriate information and documentation systems, education of the public in environmental issues,
- Support in carrying out environmental impact assessments,
In addition, work areas such as flood protection / dyke construction are fixed tasks as the upper water authority.
The LfU also performs sovereign tasks which, due to their complexity or the required specialization, cannot be performed by lower authorities. The LfU is also responsible for the implementation of the Federal Immission Control Act (BImSchG), the State Immission Control Act (LImSchG) and chemical regulations with environmental relevance. In addition, the LfU is responsible for the enforcement tasks of nature conservation and the administration of the national park , the biosphere reserves and the nature parks of the state of Brandenburg.
Structure / staff
According to the budget , the LfU had 979 posts in 2011.
- The Klostersee in the Brandenburg town of Altfriedland in the Märkisch-Oderland district, classified as mesotrophic in 2008 , is monitored by the State Office for Environment, Health and Consumer Protection (LUGV) as part of a long-term environmental program.
- The Lichtenower Mühlenfließ is part of the concept for the protection of waterfront areas, an initiative launched in 2011 by the Brandenburg State Office for the Environment, Health and Consumer Protection (MUGV) to assess the spatial development potential of waterbodies with relevance for the Water Framework Directive due to spatial availability.
- ↑ State Organization Law of Brandenburg
- ↑ Homepage
- ^ Section plan MUGV Brandenburg (pdf, p. 156)
- ↑ Recommendations for safeguarding waterfront areas in the state of Brandenburg . (PDF; 0.8 MB) Client: State Office for Environment, Health and Consumer Protection Brandenburg. 2011, p. 4, 22.