Manfred Baerns (born July 23, 1934 in Berlin ) is a German industrial chemist, since 1974 professor of technical chemistry at the Ruhr University Bochum, later at the same time scientific director of the Institute for Applied Chemistry Berlin-Adlershof (1995-2003, now Leibniz Institute for catalysis, Rostock); since 1999 he has been professor emeritus for technical chemistry at the Ruhr University Bochum . He has been a visiting scientist at the Fritz Haber Institute of the Max Planck Society in the Department of Inorganic Chemistry since 2006 .
life and work
Baerns was a member of many scientific committees and reviewer for funding programs and from 1991 to 1997 a member of the DECHEMA board of directors ; he is also a member of the GDCh , the German Bunsen Society for Physical Chemistry and the American Chemical Society .
He is the holder of numerous prizes and awards: DECHEMA plaque in titanium. Award of 4th World Congress on Oxidation Catalysis, Sapporo / Japan 2004, honorary professor at the Humboldt University Berlin and the TU Berlin, honorary member of the Institute for Catalysis at the University of Rostock .
Manfred Baerns is the author of approx. 300 scientific publications, numerous patents and 4 books in the field of technical chemistry and catalysis.
Baerns mainly works in the fields of catalysis with a focus on heterogeneous catalysis and chemical reaction engineering . He is married to the communication scientist Barbara Baerns .
- with Hanns Hofmann , Albert Renken: Chemical reaction engineering . Volume 1, ISBN 3-13-687501-X .
- with Arno Behr , Axel Brehm, Jürgen Gmehling , Hanns Hofmann, Ulfert Onken, Albert Renken: Technische Chemie . Verlag Wiley-VCH, 2006, ISBN 3-527-31000-2 .
- Principles of Applied Catalysis. Springer, 2004, ISBN 3-540-44135-2 .
- with Martin Holena: Combinatorial Development of Solid Catalytic Materials - Design of High-Throughput Experiments , Data Analysis, Data Mining. Imperial College Press, ISBN 978-1-84816-343-0 .
- Literature by and about Manfred Baerns in the catalog of the German National Library
- ↑ The life data, publications and academic family tree of Manfred Baerns at academictree.org, accessed on January 6, 2018.
- ^ Report on the award of the DECHEMA badge .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German chemist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 23, 1934|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|