Margaret M. Roxan
Margaret Mary Roxan (born January 21, 1924 in Hackney ( London ) as Margaret Mary Quantrill , † June 26, 2003 ) was a British archaeologist and leading international expert on Roman military diplomas .
She first studied psychology at University College London , where she graduated in 1948. In 1945 she married the journalist David Roxan, who died in 1999, with whom she had five children. In 1949 she obtained a teaching diploma. In 1960 she took part in a university advanced training course in archeology; In 1967 she received her diploma in archeology with distinction. In 1973, she was with a thesis on the military diplomas from the Iberian Peninsula doctorate and then worked in adult education.
Meanwhile, she continued her studies on military diplomas and published the results in scientific journals , encouraged by ancient historian Eric Birley . She went on research trips through Europe and received from colleagues various materials on military diplomas that had been found. Her main work is the Roman Military Diplomas , a publication of Roman military diplomas , of which she edited four volumes (1978, 1985, 1994, 2003). Paul Holder , who edited the fourth volume with her, published a fifth volume in 2006. Margaret Roxan was also the editor of the Military Diplomas of Roman Britain within the Roman Inscriptions of Britain (RIB). The Archaeological Institute of the University of London made her an honorary research assistant and provided her with a study.
In 1981 Margaret Roxan was inducted into the Society of Antiquaries of London ; she was also a corresponding member of the German Archaeological Institute . In 1993 she received a grant from the Leverhulme Trust for retired scientists. In May 2002 the University of London organized a scientific conference in her honor, the lectures of which were presented in the form of a memorial after her death.
- The auxilia of the Roman army raised in the Iberian peninsula. Dissertation, University of London 1973 (unpublished).
- Roman Military Diplomas 1954–1977 (= University of London, Institute of Archeology. Occasional Publications. Volume 2). Institute of Archeology, London 1978, ISBN 0-905853-06-7 .
- Roman Military Diplomas 1978–1984 (= University of London, Institute of Archeology. Occasional Publications. Volume 9). With contributions by Helen Ganiaris and John C. Mann. Institute of Archeology, London 1985, ISBN 0-905853-16-4 .
- Findspots of military diplomas of the Roman auxiliary army. In: Bulletin of the Institute of Archeology. Volume 26, 1989, pp. 127-181.
- The military diploma. In: Robin George Collingwood, Richard Pearson Wright (Eds.): The Roman Inscriptions of Britain. Volume 2, Fascicle 1, Clarendon Press, Oxford 1990, ISBN 0-862-99775-5 , pp. 1-28.
- Roman Military Diplomas 1985-1993 (= University of London, Institute of Archeology. Occasional Publications. Volume 14). Institute of Archeology, London 1994, ISBN 0-905853-33-4 .
- with Paul Holder: Roman Military Diplomas IV (= Bulletin of the Institute of Classical Studies. Supplement 82). Institute of Classical Studies, School of Advanced Study, University of London, London 2003, ISBN 0-900587-93-8 .
- John J. Wilkes (Ed.): Documenting the Roman Army. Essays in honor of Margaret Roxan (= Bulletin of the Institute of Classical Studies. Supplement 81). Institute of Classical Studies, London 2003, ISBN 0-900587-92-X (with list of publications on pp. XIII – XVII).
|SURNAME||Roxan, Margaret M.|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Roxan, Margaret Mary|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British archaeologist and expert on Roman military diplomas|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 21, 1924|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Hackney , London|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 26, 2003|