The musiculum is a learning and experimentation workshop in Kiel (Schleswig-Holstein) of the Jovita Children's and Youth Foundation and has been offering music educational projects for children and young people on a donation basis since 2009. The focus is on the experience of music and musical exhibits with all the senses.
The musiculum was launched in 2009 by the non-profit foundation Jovita.
The children and youth foundation was founded in 2002 by customers of the MMWarburg & CO bank based in Hamburg. The foundation aims to support children and young people regardless of their social and cultural background through a creative educational program. The Jovita Foundation also supports the yellow villa based in Berlin, a creative and educational center for children and young people.
The musiculum is located in the former school building of the Kieler Sternschule, which was built in 1888. The building served as a primary school until 1987 and was temporarily used as a warehouse for museum exhibits. In 2007 the partly dilapidated building was acquired for the musiculum and renovated in cooperation with the Schleswig-Holstein State Office for the Preservation of Monuments . On March 21, 2009 the building was reopened as a musiculum learning and experimentation workshop for children and young people . The building is registered as a protected monument in Kiel's monument topography . The pedagogue Andrea Schobries is co-founder and project manager of the musiculum.
The location of the musiculum is Stephan-Heinzel-Straße 9 in Kiel (Schleswig-Holstein). The musiculum offers unique possibilities for various exhibition rooms on a total area of 2000 square meters. A family of instruments or a musical theme, such as string instruments, air instruments, percussion instruments, and electronic instruments, are displayed in each exhibition space . In addition, the building houses a professional recording studio, a band room and a concert hall that can accommodate up to 199 people with a stage for musical theater , dance events and presentations. The project content is deepened and instruments are built in experiment rooms.
An outdoor area with a total of five natural sound stations surrounds the building. These include a humming stone , a sound forest , a water Spring shell , a metal tube game and a Erdxylophon. The natural sound stations were partly designed in the context of the project by participating children and young people.
The musiculum is barrier-free.
The concept of the musiculum is “Understanding instruments and acoustics with all your senses” and thus pursues the conscious physical and mental experience of music through independent and direct research into musical instruments and musical exhibits.
With a comprehensive instrument repertoire of approx. 250 (partly exotic) instruments as well as various exhibits, the effects of music and physics are to be illustrated. The musiculum describes itself as a children's museum , but not as a museum in the traditional sense: the exhibits are only available as part of the projects and cannot be visited on your own, as the embedding and reflection of the experiences gained in the musiculum are important aspects of the concept. Taking up the curiosity, imagination and creativity of children and young people plays a central role in the concept of the musiculum. The requirement, promotion and strengthening of skills such as independent action, communication and the social behavior of the project participants are also very important.
The musiculum comprises a team of educators, natural scientists, musicians, technicians and craftsmen and works together with freelance workers from the fields of art, dance and drama.
Since it opened in 2009, the musiculum has been a member of the State Association for Cultural Youth Education Schleswig-Holstein e. V. also place of work for the voluntary social year of culture .
Through the project work, the musiculum pursues the goal of enabling sustainable support for children and young people. The educational projects in the musiculum are divided into a morning and an afternoon area, and cooperation and holiday projects are also offered.
In its role as an extracurricular learning location, the musiculum offers project days and project weeks in the mornings for grades 1-9 of all school types. The school classes can choose the project topics themselves. The offer of the morning projects is specifically aimed at teachers of all school subjects, as the musiculum offers subject-related learning through music through project lessons.
The afternoon area offers free projects such as B. instrument and acoustic projects, instrument workshops, dance or pop song projects. This also includes early musical education for children from the age of 5. The afternoon projects take place over 6–10 times a week and are concluded with a public presentation.
The musiculum is a cooperation partner of various schools in Kiel, most of which are located in socially and economically disadvantaged districts. The cooperation projects, which deal holistically with researching various families of instruments and acoustic phenomena, last a half-year and take place weekly. The offer of the musiculum also includes various inclusive projects for the creative and artistic promotion of children and young people with physical or mental disabilities.
In addition, the musiculum offers holiday projects that usually take place over the first week of the school holidays in Schleswig-Holstein on a specific topic.
Public family concerts have been held regularly at the musiculum since 2014.
The project offers are aimed at all children and young people, regardless of their social, cultural and religious roots and regardless of their physical and mental development. The musiculum is only open to adults for project support or for presentations and public events.
The project fee is one symbolic euro per class or per child in order to ensure that every child - regardless of their financial situation and social background - can participate in the project.
The Jovita Foundation finances two thirds of the musiculum. Accordingly, the musiculum generates a third of its costs from donations and subsidies.
Selected location 2012
The musiculum is the 2012 Selected Location in the Culture section of the nationwide competition 365 Landmarks in the Land of Ideas . The award ceremony took place on April 29, 2012 as part of a large festival at which the Germany - Land of Ideas initiative, in cooperation with Deutsche Bank, honored ideas and projects that make a sustainable contribution to Germany's future viability.
Culture site of the LKJ SH
On June 24, 2014, the musiculum was recognized as a cultural venue by the Schleswig Holstein State Association for Cultural Youth Education (LKJ SH).
- Official website of the musiculum
- The Jovita Foundation on the musiculum
- Culture educates. The portal for cultural education via the musiculum
- Family culture tour via the musiculum
- Jovita Foundation - The Challenge. Retrieved December 9, 2014
- Jovita Foundation - The Projects. Retrieved January 4, 2015
- Musiculum - the house. Retrieved January 4, 2015
- Directory of the registered cultural monuments of the State of Schleswig-Holstein (except Lübeck). ( Memento of February 25, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) (PDF) accessed on December 9, 2014
- The concept implementation of the musiculum. Retrieved January 4, 2015
- The outside area of the musiculum. Retrieved February 5, 2015
- The concept of the musiculum. Retrieved January 4, 2015
- The concept of the musiculum - idea and goals. Retrieved January 4, 2015
- Jovita - musiculum Foundation, Kiel. Retrieved January 4, 2015
- Team of the musiculum. Retrieved January 4, 2015
- FSJ Culture in the musiculum. Retrieved January 4, 2015
- projects in the musiculum. Retrieved January 4, 2015
- School projects in the musiculum. Retrieved January 4, 2015
- Afternoon projects in the musiculum. Retrieved January 4, 2015
- cooperation projects of the musiculum. Retrieved January 4, 2015
- projects in the musiculum. Retrieved January 4, 2015
- Family concerts in the musiculum 2014. Retrieved on January 4, 2015
- 365 Landmarks in the Land of Ideas (2006–2012). ( Memento of the original from February 7, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved January 4, 2015
- Germany, Land of Ideas - “musiculum” workshop for learning and experimentation. ( Memento of the original from June 22, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved January 10, 2015
- "Musiculum" is happy about a special award. (PDF) Article in Kieler Nachrichten of April 30, 2012. Accessed January 4, 2015.
- Minister of Culture Spoorendonk distinguishes "musiculum" in Kiel as a cultural place. ( Memento of the original from March 10, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Article on the homepage of the national defense cultural children and youth education Schleswig Holstein e. V. of June 24, 2014; accessed on January 4, 2015