Muscle pain after exertion is called sore muscles .
- Colds caused by infection with adenoviruses or Coxsackie viruses of type B4 and B3 (so-called Bornholm disease )
- the actual flu ( influenza )
- Babesiosis transmitted by tick bites (infection by the protozoa Babesia microti or Babesia divergens ) and Ehrlichiosis (infection by the obligate intraleukocytic bacterium Anaplasma phagocytophilum )
- leptospirosis transmitted by rats, mice, domestic animals and wild animals
- of trichinosis (in Central Europe despite Trichina in the slaughter of meat still the most common parasitic disease by Trichinella spiralis )
- of Lyme disease
- of malaria
- the familial Mediterranean fever that occurs throughout the Mediterranean
In the case of polymyalgia rheumatica , the eosinophilic myalgia syndrome (in therapy with L-tryptophan) and the fibromyalgia syndrome (“muscular rheumatism”), muscle pain is even a key symptom for diagnosis .
A common cause of myalgia in general practice are states of tension and incorrect stress at work and when exercising. In rare cases, myalgia can also occur as an adverse drug reaction (ADR), for example as a side effect of ciprofloxacin .
- Fibromyalgia (muscle-fiber pain)
- Chronic fatigue syndrome , also called myalgic encephalomyelitis
- Muscle spasm-muscle pain and fasciculations syndrome
- S. Eisele, E. Garbe u. a .: Ciprofloxacin-related acute severe myalgia necessitating emergency care treatment: a case report and review of the literature. In: International journal of clinical pharmacology and therapeutics. Volume 47, Number 3, March 2009, pp. 165-168, PMID 19281725 (review).
- Walter Siegenthaler : Siegenthaler's differential diagnosis. Internal diseases - from symptom to diagnosis. 19th completely revised edition. Thieme, Stuttgart a. a. 2005, ISBN 3-13-344819-6 .
- S1 guidelines for diagnosis and differential diagnosis in myalgia of the German Society for Neurology. In: AWMF online (as of 2020)