Fruit products are products made from fruits or preparations made from them that have been preserved using a suitable process. Fruit products are used for baking purposes in the bakery and pastry shop.
- frozen fruit products
- Canned fruit
- Fruit syrups and certain spreadable fruit preparations
- Dried fruits .
These guidelines do not apply to fruit juices, fruit nectars, fruit pulp, jams, jams, jellies and other products that are subject to the Fruit Juice Ordinance or the Jam Ordinance. If the fruit products are intended for the production of baked goods and confectionery (and in Austria for pastries ), they are not subject to the provisions of the Jam Ordinance with regard to technologically necessary additives ( starch , preservatives and thickeners ) .
The following processes are common for preservation, also combined with one another:
- Freezing according to the regulation on frozen foods
- Heat treatment by pasteurization (below 100 ° C),
- Concentration by dehydration,
- Drying or freeze drying,
- Adding preservatives
- Soaking in alcohol.
In addition to fruit, other ingredients are used to produce fruit products, but no other ingredients are used in frozen fruit products made from one type of fruit.
According to the Austrian food book , tomatoes , the edible parts of rhubarb stalks, carrots , sweet potatoes , cucumbers , pumpkins , melons and ginger roots (fresh, dried or in syrup) are equated with fruit.
The US Customs Court in Buffalo ruled in 1947 that rhubarb was a fruit because it was mainly used as a fruit. The reason for this was the higher import duties for vegetables than for fruits.
- Schünemann, Claus: Learning fields of the bakery and confectionery - sales: practical theory textbook for vocational training to become a specialist salesperson in the food trade . 1st edition Gildebuchverl, Alfeld / Leine 2006, ISBN 3-7734-0170-1 , p. 174-176 .
- Treu, Günter .: Technology of the production of baked goods: specialist textbook for bakers . 10., revised. Edition Gildebuchverl, Alfeld / Leine 2009, ISBN 978-3-7734-0150-2 , p. 245 .
- Principles for fruit products. (PDF) Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture (BMEL), accessed on June 22, 2018 .
- Jams and other fruit products 4th edition / Codex chapter / B 5. (PDF) Federal Ministry of Labor, Social Affairs, Health and Consumer Protection Austria, accessed on June 22, 2018 .
- Clarkson, Janet, 1947-: Food history almanac: over 1,300 years of world culinary history, culture, and social influence . Lanham, Maryland 2014, ISBN 978-1-4422-2715-6 , pp. 687 (English).
- Brown, Amy C., Understanding food: principles and preparation . Sixth ed. Boston 2019, ISBN 978-1-337-55756-6 , pp. 285 (English).