He received his doctorate in German and philosophy from the University of Heidelberg in 1986 . After working as a feature editor, freelance publicist and translator, he became a research assistant at the German Department of Heidelberg University in 1992. From 1999 to 2006 he worked as a research assistant at the chair for modern German studies at the University of Mannheim . From 2007 to 2011 he was employed as a research assistant on the edition project “Historical-Critical Franz Kafka Edition” at the German Department of Heidelberg University, where he was re-employed in October 2014. Since May 2012 he has been writing the blog “Stimming's Inn”.
Staengle is a co-founder of the Berlin-Brandenburger Kleist-Klub e. V., the Institute for Text Criticism e. V., the International Arnim Society e. V. and the sponsoring association “Kleist Memorial and Research Center e. V. ". Since June 2018 he has been the first chairman of the “Freundeskreis Literaturhaus Heidelberg eV” association.
- Achim von Arnim's poetic self-reflection. Studies on the criticism of subjectivity, poetological programs and existential self-interpretation (1988)
- BKA - Brandenburger Kleist edition. Critical edition of all texts according to wording, orthography, punctuation of all surviving manuscripts and prints, edited by Roland Reuss and Peter Staengle (1988–2010)
- Thomas Carlyle : Sartor Resartus. Life and opinions of Mr. Teufelsdröckh . Translation from English, epilogue and notes (1991)
- Heinrich von Kleist. Text + criticism-special volume (1993) (co-editor)
- Tobias Smollett : Humphry Clinker's Journey . Translation from English and epilogue (1996)
- FKA - Franz Kafka edition. Historical-critical edition of all manuscripts, prints and typescripts, edited by Roland Reuss and Peter Staengle (1995 ff.)
- Heinrich von Kleist (1998)
- Theodor Fontane : The Stechlin . Critical edition. Edited by Peter Staengle in collaboration with Roland Reuß (1998)
- William Faulkner : Mississippi . Edited by Roland Reuß and Peter Staengle (2000)
- Paul Renner : Cultural Bolshevism? Edited and annotated by Roland Reuss and Peter Staengle (2003)
- Heinrich von Kleist . His life. Heilbronn: Kleist-Archiv Sembdner (2006, 4th, again revised and updated edition 2011)
- Heinrich von Kleist - Complete Works and Letters. Munich edition. Edited by Roland Reuss and Peter Staengle. 3 volumes. Hanser, Munich 2010, ISBN 978-3-446-23600-4 . (This edition has since been withdrawn by the publisher.)
- Kafka courier. Edited by Roland Reuß and Peter Staengle (2014 ff.)
- Oh, Kleist! The yearbook. For everyone who has something (new) to say. Edited by Günther Emig, H. Herrmann and Peter Staengle (2019 ff.)
- Oskar Panizza - Works. Edited by Peter Staengle and Günther Emig (2019 ff.)
- Literature by and about Peter Staengle in the catalog of the German National Library
- Short biography
- Stimming's Inn
- Klaus Müller-Salget: A sad end. Hanser and his Kleist edition. In: Süddeutsche Zeitung, May 30, 2016, p. 12.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German Germanist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 26, 1953|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Heidenheim an der Brenz|