Prefo (from Pre ss fo rmwerk) was a state-owned company of the GDR , which produced tools, molds and toys and was known in particular for model cars , car racing tracks , model tram kits and similar products.
The company was founded in 1928 through the establishment of the Schölz tool factory with headquarters in Dresden . After 1945 the company produced tools and press molds without an owner. The company became VEB Prefo Dresden through nationalization in 1952 .
In 1972, Prefo was assigned to the VEB Model and Plastic Toy Combine Annaberg-Buchholz. This combine consisted of the VEB Blech- und Spielwarenfabrik Dresden, VEB Kunststoff -verarbeitung Zschopau, VEB Spezialprägewerk Annaberg-Buchholz (with the ESPEWE brand) and, from 1974, the VEB Modellbahn Zubehör Glashütte formerly Hruska (with the Permot brand).
Directly subordinate to Prefo were VEB Modellbahn Zubehör Glashütte, VEB Modellbahn Oybin, formerly strengz & Co and VEB Modellbahnwagen Dresden, formerly shift , which manufactured model railway cars and accessories in the nominal size H0 . It was initially sold by Prefo and later under the trade name Piko .
In 1981 the VEB Kombinat Spielwaren Sonneberg, (see VERO ), which consisted of, among others, VEB Plasticart Annaberg-Buchholz, VEB Piko Sonneberg, VEB Prefo Dresden and VEB Anker-Mechanik Eisfeld, with Piko being the product group lead company for model railways and the VEB Plasticart Annaberg-Buchholz the leading company for plastic toys.
In addition to tools, the combine also manufactured car racing tracks, mechanical toy watches, model railroad cars, model railroad accessories, roulette, children's telephones, model trams, model cars, electro-mechanical boats as well as normal telephones. In 1986 the production of the Prefo Auto-Trans started, the production was stopped again in 1989.
As a result of the reprivatisation of the state-owned companies after reunification , the VEB Prefo Dresden became a GmbH under fiduciary supervision in 1990 , which later became part of the Wilken Werkzeug und Formenbau company. Thus the name Prefo disappeared.
The now insolvent company Hruska-Modelle (model cars) emerged from VEB Modellbahn Zubehör Glashütte and the company Sachsenmodelle emerged from VEB Modellbahn Oybin. Sachsenmodelle also filed for bankruptcy in 1999, the range and distribution rights were bought out of the bankruptcy estate by Tillig in 2001 . The location in Zittau was closed.
In 2003 a new company was founded under the name Prefo with headquarters in Beinstein . Prefo has since been registered as a trademark and is again selling model railroad accessories based on the original model railroad range.
- The toy . Meisenbach Verlag, Bamberg 1949.
- Today's toys . Bulletin of the Central Office for Standardization Sonneberg and the Institute for Toys Sonneberg. Sonneberg 1967-83
- Play equipment . Nostheide Verlag, Memmelsdorf 1981
- German Federal Pension Insurance: Company list "Existing documents" . German Federal Pension Insurance, Berlin 2009.
- History about Prefo. ( Memento from February 11, 2012 in the Internet Archive )
- Archive portal Thuringia: VEB Kombinat Spielwaren Sonneberg.
- prefo racing tracks on ddrautorennbahn.de
- prefo racetracks on prefo-racing.com
- Monika Lenz: Saxony models on the siding. (No longer available online.) Monika Lenz, October 1, 1999, archived from the original on December 20, 2009 ; Retrieved April 6, 2010 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Monika Lenz: Sachsenmodelle Zittau: betrayed or sold? (No longer available online.) Monika Lenz, February 23, 2001, archived from the original on February 2, 2010 ; accessed on April 6, 2010 (with interview from the works council). Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Monika Lenz: FAKTuell local archive until March 4, 2001. (No longer available online.) Monika Lenz, March 4, 2001, archived from the original on February 2, 2010 ; Retrieved on April 6, 2010 (with quote from State Secretary for Economic Affairs in Saxony, Dr. Wolfgang Vehse): "The fact that an entrepreneur wants to employ more people is not necessarily the reason to sell to him" Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and not yet tested. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.