Rachel Hachlili , (רחל חכלילי other transcriptions: Rachel Chachlili , Rāḥēl Ḥa̱klîlî ) is an Israeli Classical Archaeologist. From 1984 until her retirement she held a professorship at Haifa University (Zinman Institute of Archeology). Her academic work focuses on ancient synagogues and Jewish symbols.
Hachlili studied archeology at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem (PhD 1971) and was a student of Michael Avi-Yonah , whose assistant she was in the last years of his life. Avi-Yonah's approach to art history shaped Hachlili's research. She wrote her doctoral thesis on Sacred Architecture and Decoration in the Hellenistic-Roman East .
Hachlili led the rescue excavations in the Jewish necropolis of Jericho ( 1975-1988 ) and the investigation of the synagogue of Qaṣrin in the Golan, the latter together with Zvi Ma'oz and Ann E. Killebrew. Together with Killebrew, she examined Qazion (1992-1997), a cultic center located in the north on the border between Phenicia and Galilee .
As a student, Hachlili had worked at the Jewish Museum New York for three years (1966–1968) . She was co-curator of various exhibitions at the Israel Museum Jerusalem and developed the permanent exhibition (as well as various special exhibitions) at the Hecht Museum in Haifa.
- The Zinman Institute of Archeology: Prof. Rachel Hachlili
Publications (in selection)
- The Niche and the Ark in Ancient Synagogues . In: BASOR 223 (October 1976), pp. 43-53.
- The Zodiac in Ancient Jewish Art: Representation and Significance . In: BASOR 228 (December 1977), pp. 61-77.
- The Zodiac in Ancient Jewish Synagogal Art: A Review . In: JSQ 9 (2002), pp. 219-258. The same topic, updated after 25 years.
- Ancient Jewish Art and Archeology in the Land of Israel. Brill, Leiden / New York / Copenhagen / Cologne 1988. ISBN 90-0408115-1 .
- Ancient Jewish Art and Archeology in the Diaspora . Brill, Leiden / Boston / Cologne 1998. ISBN 9004108785 .
- The Menorah, the Ancient Seven-armed Candelabrum: Origin, Form, and Significance , Brill Leiden / Boston / Cologne 2001. ISBN 90-04-12017-3 .
- Jewish Funerary Customs. Practices and Rites in the Second Temple Period (= Journal of the Study of Judaism. Supplement 94). Brill, Leiden / Boston / Cologne 2005, ISBN 90-04-12373-3 .
- Ancient Mosaic Pavements. Themes, Issues, and Trends. Selected Studies . Brill, Leiden / Boston / Cologne 2009. ISBN 978-90-04-16754-4 .
- Ancient Synagogues - Archeology and Art: New Discoveries and Current Research (= Handbook of Oriental Studies, Section 1: Ancient Near East. Volume 105). Brill, Leiden / Boston / Cologne 2013. ISBN 978-90-04-25773-3 .
- The Menorah. Evolving into the Most Important Jewish Symbol . Brill, Leiden / Boston 2018. ISBN 978-90-04-37502-4 .
- Ann Killebrew, Gabriele Faßbeck (Ed.): Viewing Ancient Jewish Art and Archeology: VeHinnei Rachel - Essays in Honor of Rachel Hachlili . Brill, Leiden / Boston / Cologne 2015, ISBN 978-90-04-15685-2 .
- Rachel Hachlili: Ancient Jewish Art and Archeology in the Land of Israel . S. xxi .
- Ann Killebrew, Gabriele Faßbeck: Viewing Ancient Jewish Art . S. vii .
- Ann Killebrew, Gabriele Faßbeck: Viewing Ancient Jewish Art . S. viii .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Chachlili, Rachel; Ḥa̱klîlî, Rāḥēl|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Israeli Classical Archaeologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||20th century|