Railway Empire is a Tycoon - simulation game , which take place on January 26, 2018 PlayStation 4 , Xbox One , PC and Linux has been released. The game was developed by Gaming Minds Studios and produced by Kalypso Media .
Game principle and technology
The game takes place in the United States from 1830 to 1930. In Railway Empire the player can build a large network of railway lines and buy various locomotives . The game has several game modes such as campaign mode, scenario mode, free mode and sandbox mode.
Eight download extensions have been released for the game so far . They expand the main game, which focuses on the USA, to include other regions of the world in which the industrial revolution and the railroad had an influence on their development, as well as time and region-specific train models.
|Original DLC title||Approved||region||New locomotives|
|Mexico||June 8, 2018||Mexico||Fairlie (0-6-6-0) and Stirling (4-2-2)|
|The Great Lakes||17th August 2018||Canada||Achilles (0-4-0) and Canadian (2-8-0)|
|Crossing the Andes||19th October 2018||South America||Kitson-Meyer (0-8-6-0) and Garratt (2-6-0-0-6-2)|
|Great Britain & Ireland||December 14, 2018||Great Britain and Ireland||Ten new locomotives including Rocket (0-2-2) and Firefly (0-2-0)|
|Germany||1st March 2019||Germany||Ten new locomotives, including Adler (2-2-2) and Rhein (2-4-0)|
|France||May 24, 2019||France||Ten new locomotives, including Coupe Vent (4-4-0) and Forquenot (2-4-2)|
|Northern Europe||16th December 2019||Scandinavia||Three new locomotives: Odin (2-2-2), Prins August (2-4-0) and SJB II (4-6-0)|
|Down under||May 8, 2020||Australia||Three new locomotives: Heisler (0-8-0), C30 (4-6-0) and Class S (4-6-2)|
Railway Empire received rather positive reviews. The Metacritic review database aggregates 20 reviews with an average value of 74. The German online magazine 4Players praised the game's good accessibility, which initially presented the player with complex options for action. Under the surface, however, there is a limited game depth, and there are also minor technical inadequacies in the console versions. All in all, Railway Empire is "solid set-up entertainment with a great deal of model railroad flair". The Gamestar described Railway Empire as a "discreetly old-school game" that shines with many tasks for the player and a well-interlinked economic system, but overall comes across as a bit old-fashioned graphically and playfully. The PC Games raised the graphics, however, out positively and recorded a comfortable operation of the game, but criticized the AI of computer opponents, sometimes as THAT CONDITION cheating and prevent fair games. The magazine noted a lack of multiplayer mode. The Computer Bild Spiele found out that Railway Empire for the consoles PlayStation 4 and Xbox One is the first railway management game for these systems. The magazine also noted that the game allowed user-created mods through appropriate interfaces .
Awards and nominations
Railway Empire won two awards and was nominated four times for the "German Developer Award 2018", one of the most important video game awards in German-speaking countries.
- Winner - Best PC / Console Game
- Winner - Best Technical Performance
- Nominated - Best German Game
- Nominated - Best Graphics
Railway Empire was also nominated for "TOMMI - The German Children's Software Prize 2018".
- Railway Empire Is this a game worth choo-choosing? ( gamereactor.eu [accessed July 9, 2018]).
- Railway Empire: Mexico expansion and new update released - trailer. Retrieved July 9, 2018 .
- Next Stop: Europe! - New Development Roadmap Released! Retrieved October 9, 2018 .
- Railway Empire 'Down Under' DLC Out Now. In: Kalypso Media Blog. May 8, 2020, accessed on May 11, 2020 (German).
- 4Players.de: Test: Railway Empire. Retrieved July 9, 2018 .
- ComputerBild.de: Railway Empire in the test: The Lord of the Rails! Retrieved July 9, 2018 .
- Gamestar.de: Railway Empire in the test - Lokruf der Wildnis. Retrieved July 9, 2018 .
- PCGames.de: Railway Empire: Full steam ahead! Our test of the railway tycoon simulation. Retrieved July 9, 2018 .
- Metacritic.com: Railway Empire. Retrieved January 1, 2019 .
- German Developer Award 2018: The nominees. Retrieved November 6, 2018 .
- German Developer Award 2018 - The winners. Retrieved December 7, 2018 .
- TOMMI - The German Children's Software Prize 2018. Accessed on November 6, 2018 .