Reinhard Gregor Kratz
After studying in Frankfurt , Heidelberg and Zurich, he worked as an assistant for the Old Testament at the chair of Odil Hannes Steck in Zurich. Following the vicariate in the Evangelical Reformed Church of the Canton of Zurich , he was ordained Verbi Divini Minister in 1987 .
In the same year he was honored with a thesis on the Aramaic Daniel stories to Dr. theol. PhD . In 1990 his habilitation followed with the work of Cyrus in the Deutero-Isaiah book . Since 1995 he has been a full professor of the Old Testament at the Georg-August University in Göttingen. In 1999 he was accepted as a full member of the Göttingen Academy of Sciences .
In the academic year 2002/2003 he was appointed as a fellow at the Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin . He spent the 2006/2007 academic year as a Fowler Hamilton Visiting Research Fellow at Christ Church College Oxford . In 2009 he turned down an offer from the Humboldt University of Berlin for a W3 professorship. In 2014 he turned down an offer at Oxford University .
His main research interests include the literary and editorial history of the Old Testament. In doing so, he revives an editorial-historical image of the narrative books of the Old Testament, which in its origins goes back to Julius Wellhausen . According to this, the book complex from Genesis to 2 Kings has been worked together by an overarching editorial team to form a major Jerusalem historical work (Enneateuch) and only subsequently divided into the book groups Pentateuch and Anterior Prophets. Kratz thus occupies a special position in the current debate about the emergence of the Pentateuch and Deuteronomistic History .
Another focus of research is Old Oriental and Old Testament prophecy , he mainly examines Deutero-Isaiah and Daniel.
Current research projects
- Chairman of the management committee of the Septuagint company of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen.
- Head of the Qumran Research Department at the Institute for Special Research and the long-term project “Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon on the Dead Sea Texts” at the Göttingen Academy of Sciences.
- Second speaker for the Graduate School “Images of Gods - Images of God - Images of the World. Polytheism and Monotheism in the Ancient World ”.
- Director of the Centrum Orbis Orientalis (CORO) - Center for Semitic and Related Studies.
- Member of the Nordic-German Network for Old Testament (OTSEM)
- DFG project "The Interpretation of the Book of Genesis in the Dead Sea Scrolls" in cooperation with the University of Haifa (Devorah Dimant)
- Translatio imperii. Studies on the Aramaic Daniel narratives and their theological-historical environment (Scientific Monographs on the Old and New Testament 63). Neukirchener Verlag, Neukirchen-Vluyn 1991, ISBN 3-7887-1322-4 (also dissertation, University of Zurich 1987).
- Cyrus in the Deutero-Isaiah book. Editorial history studies on the origin and theology of Isa 40-55 (research on the Old Testament 1). Mohr, Tübingen 1991, ISBN 3-1614-5757-9 ( plus habilitation, University of Zurich 1990).
- The composition of the narrative books of the Old Testament. Basic knowledge of biblical criticism (UTB 2157). Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 2000, ISBN 3-8252-2157-1 .
- The prophets of Israel (Beck knowledge series 2326). Beck, Munich 2003, ISBN 3-406-48026-8 .
- Historical and Biblical Israel. Three reviews of the Old Testament . Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, 2nd, reviewed and expanded edition 2017, ISBN 978-3-16-155125-3 .
- Homepage of Reinhard Gregor Kratz at the University of Göttingen
- Publications by Reinhard Gregor Kratz
- Literature by and about Reinhard Gregor Kratz in the catalog of the German National Library
- Homepage of the Graduate School "Images of Gods - Images of God - Images of the World"
- Homepage of the Centrum Orbis Orientalis (CORO)
- Homepage of the Septuagint company of the Göttingen Academy of Sciences
|SURNAME||Kratz, Reinhard Gregor|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Protestant theologian and Old Testament scholar|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 25, 1957|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Offenbach am Main|