Richard David Bach (born June 23, 1936 in Oak Park , Illinois ) is an American writer and pilot .
Bach started flying at the age of 17. A year later he began training as a pilot with the US Air Force . He then worked on air shows and as a flight instructor.
In addition to his activities, he published essays on flying, although he did not only deal with the subject technically, but also emotionally and personally.
His first book The Seagull Jonathan from 1970 is now considered a cult book . According to Publishers Weekly , the book sold over nine million copies five years after its publication. By April 1992, the number of copies sold rose to 30 million.
But one should by no means reduce Bach's complete works to this book. In his later novels he not only dealt increasingly intensively with what the fascination of flying consists of and how it affects him, but also comes from flying experiences on completely different, sometimes metaphysical topics, such as the power of hypnosis over Reality in "The Pilot".
- My world is the sky ( Stranger to the Ground ). Rütten & Loening, Munich 1965
The Jonathan Seagull ( Jonathan Livingston Seagull ). Translated into German by Jeannie Ebner . Ullstein, Berlin / Frankfurt / Vienna 1970
- D 'seagull Jonathan . In Bern German by Barbara and Markus Traber , Hugendubel, Kreuzlingen 2007, ISBN 978-3-7205-3028-6
- Luck of flying ( A Gift of Wings ). Ullstein, Berlin / Frankfurt / Vienna 1975
- Vagabonds of the air. With a double-decker and sleeping bag through the USA ( Nothing by Chance ). Ullstein, Berlin / Frankfurt / Vienna 1977
- Illusions. The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah ( Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah ). Ullstein, Berlin / Frankfurt / Vienna 1978
- The Invisible Ring ( There's No Such Place as Far Away ). Ullstein, Berlin / Frankfurt / Vienna 1982
- Bridge over the time ( The Bridge Across Forever ). Ullstein, Berlin / Frankfurt / Vienna 1984
- To be one. A cosmic journey . Roman ( One ). Goldmann, Munich 1990
- Homecoming. An adventure of the mind ( Running from Safety ). Ullstein, Berlin / Frankfurt / Vienna 1995
- On the wings of dreams ( Out of My Mind ). Ullstein, Munich 2000
The Ferret Chronicles ( The Ferret Chronicles , five volumes)
- Ferret sea ( Rescue Ferrets at Sea ). Ullstein, Munich 2002
- Ferrets in the air ( Air Ferrets Aloft ). Ullstein, Munich 2003
- The Pilot ( Hypnotizing Maria ). Allegria (Ullstein), Berlin 2010
- Travels with Puff. Nice Tiger, Reno NV 2013
- ↑ 20th-Century American Bestsellers ( Memento July 17, 2013 in the Internet Archive ). In: People.lis.illinois.edu (University of Illinois), accessed on August 18 of 2019.
- Gull swing. In search of the lost father . With an afterword by Richard Bach ( Above the Clouds ). Ullstein, Berlin / Frankfurt / Vienna 1995
- Literature by and about Richard Bach in the catalog of the German National Library
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Bach, Richard David (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American writer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 23, 1936|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Oak Park , Illinois|