An anthology is a collection of texts in one cover .
In contrast to anthology and blossom harvest , the term is also used for scientific publications. In the technical terminology of bookbinding , an anthology is the binding together of different, not necessarily coordinated, independent individual fonts at the request of the client. In contrast, the term is used synonymously in scientific colloquial language with the collective work, in which the editor oversees a collection of individual contributions conceived as a complete work already in the creation process. A monograph is to be distinguished from this , the individual work by one or more authors who are then jointly responsible for the entire text. Various individual documents put together for a specific reason are called bundles .
A distinction must be made between the anthology and the collective edition , in which several original independent publications are published together in one edition by a publisher.
Differentiation from the collection of articles
An essay collection is a compilation of several scientific contributions by one or more authors, written individually. The term also includes collective dissertations and post-doctoral theses, but not congress volumes, for which the term conference proceedings is used in libraries. If the text is written jointly by the authors, it is called a monograph instead . The collection of articles must also be distinguished from the anthology , which also contains individual works by various authors, but not scientific but fiction texts. Essay collection is a term from the controlled vocabulary of the German National Library .
- Severin Corsten : anthology. In: ders., Bernhard Bischoff , Claus Walther Gerhardt (Hrsg.): Lexicon of the entire book system. 2nd Edition. Vol. 6. Stuttgart 2003, p. 475 f.
- Klaus Gantert, Rupert Hacker : Basic librarianship. 8th edition. Saur, Munich 2008, p. 83.
- Helmut Hiller, Stephan Füssel : Dictionary of the book. 7., fundamentally revised. Edition Klostermann 2006, ISBN 3-465-03495-3 , s. 282 f.
- Ursula Rautenberg : Reclam's dictionary of the book: from manuscript to e-book. Reclam 2015, ISBN 978-3-15-011022-5 , p. 344.
- Björn Ortel Bach: Controlling in scientific publishing. Analysis of IT-induced changes by scientific publishers and conception of selected controlling instruments (= Göttinger Schriften zur Internetforschung. Vol. 5). Universitätsverlag Göttingen, Göttingen 2007, p. 22 .
- Marion Irmer: Scientific media use. Expectations and motives when using classic and electronic reception and publication platforms. Lit, Berlin 2011 (also dissertation, University of Ilmenau, 2010), p. 34 f. ; Alfred Brink: Preparation of scientific papers. A process-oriented guide for creating bachelor, master and diploma theses. 4th, corrected and updated edition. Springer Gabler, Wiesbaden 2013, p. 48 .
- monograph (type of text) | Meaning, characteristics, examples. Retrieved April 15, 2020 .
- Catalog of the German National Library. Retrieved April 15, 2020 .