Black and white or black and white (as an adjective black or black ; abbreviation SW , sw or b / w ) is the name for visual or photographic processes without mapping of colors and thus can have two meanings:
- in the narrower sense, the exclusively binary use of two brightness values / colors, d. H. the literal meaning, e.g. B. in different printing techniques, data formats, screens and other playback devices as well as full tone images , line drawings and rastered images.
- in the broader sense gray levels, e.g. B. in black and white photography , in black and white film or in black and white video technology , where the term also includes the respective gray values of the displayed colors ( achromatic ) and thus describes black - gray - white halftone images .
Applications of terms
- For photographers , black and white photography offers artistically more interesting options than color photography - for example in portrait photography . The image structure and the design of contrast or highlight is much more important than with color photos.
- In image processing , black and white (binary) images as a result of a segmentation step are an essential part of an image processing system .
- Black and white prints and copies are much cheaper and usually faster to produce than color prints or color copies. Images are preferable to line drawings , halftone images must be screened before printing.
Use of language / use as an idiom
- If a person sees everything in black and white, for example there is only "the good" and "the bad", but no shades in between. Accordingly, “black and white painting” in the figurative sense means that someone only expresses himself in extremes.
- Black and white is a keyword for special situations and objects - for example in magic or when describing appropriately colored bodies of water, mountains or rock faces.