Tom DeMarco (born August 20, 1940 in Pennsylvania , USA ) is the inventor of structured analysis and has had a decisive influence on the field of software engineering through his contributions to software management . He became particularly well-known through a fictional work : The appointment - a novel about project management . DeMarco stands for the thesis that the decisive aspects of software development are human and not technical, and that consequently the tasks of management are to be named or worked out here.
Tom DeMarco's father ran a brass and bronze foundry in the New England states . Tom DeMarco was in software development for many years , e.g. B. at Bell Laboratories. In the mid-1980s he u. a. founded the company 'The Atlantic Systems Guild' with Timothy Lister, where he is still active today.
With regard to software technology , he made a contribution to the specification of requirements of software projects as well as various contributions to software management, such as investigations into the influences on productivity. His books are characterized by a lot of humor and the basic statement that people and not technology is the decisive factor in software development.
He holds a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering of the University of Cornell , the Master of Science of Columbia University , a diploma from the Sorbonne and a honorary doctorate in Science of the City University London .
- Tom DeMarco: Structured Analysis and System Specification . Ed .: PJ Plauger . Prentice Hall, 1979, ISBN 0-13-854380-1 (English).
- Tom DeMarco: What you can't measure ... you can't control . 2nd Edition. mitp, 2008, ISBN 978-3-8266-1488-0 (English: Controlling Software Projects: Management, Measurement, and Estimates .).
- Tom DeMarco: Why is software so expensive? Carl Hanser Verlag Munich Vienna 1997, ISBN 3-446-18902-5
- Tom DeMarco: The appointment . (Original: The Deadline: A Novel About Project Management. ) Hanser Fachbuchverlag, Leipzig 1998, ISBN 3-446-19432-0
- Tom DeMarco, Timothy Lister: Vienna is waiting for you ! (Original: Peopleware : Productive Projects and Teams ) Hanser Fachbuchverlag, Leipzig 1999, ISBN 3-446-21277-9
- Tom DeMarco: Spielräume (Original: Slack - Getting Past Burnout, Busywork, and the Myth of Total Efficiency ) Carl Hanser Verlag, Munich Vienna 2001, ISBN 3-446-21665-0
- Tom DeMarco, Timothy Lister: Bear Tango. (Original: Waltzing With Bears ) Hanser Fachbuchverlag, Leipzig 2003, ISBN 3-446-22333-9
- Tom DeMarco et al .: Adrenalin Junkies & Form Zombies - Typical behavior in projects (Original: Project Behaviors: from Adrenalin Junkies to Template Zombies ) Carl Hanser Verlag, Munich, Vienna 2007, ISBN 978-3-446-41254-5
- Tom DeMarco: When the lights went out in the world: a science thriller . Hanser, Munich 2014, ISBN 978-3-446-43960-3 (English: Andronescu's Paradox . 2013. Translated by Andreas Brandhorst).
- 1986 with the Warnier Prix D'Informatique for Excellence in Information Science
- 1999 with the Stevens Award for his contributions to the methods of software development
- Tom DeMarco's website
- Literature by and about Tom DeMarco in the catalog of the German National Library
- Tom DeMarco: Spieläume , Carl Hanser Verlag, Munich Vienna 2001, ISBN 3-446-21665-0 , p. 181
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American author|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 1940|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Pennsylvania , USA|