Neumann studied law in Tübingen and Munich . In Munich he passed the first state examination in 1971 and the second in 1974. Subsequently, he worked as a research assistant at the local Institute for Legal Philosophy and Legal Informatics. In 1977 he did his doctorate with Arthur Kaufmann in Munich, followed by his habilitation in 1983.
After receiving the Venia legendi (for criminal law, criminal procedure law, legal philosophy and legal sociology) Neumann worked for the first time at the University of Frankfurt as professor for legal philosophy from 1983 to 1987 . In 1987 he moved to the Saarland University in Saarbrücken, where he held a chair for criminal law, criminal procedure law, legal philosophy and legal sociology until 1994. Since 1994 he has been teaching and researching at the University of Frankfurt, where he held the chair for criminal law, criminal procedure law, legal philosophy and legal sociology. In 2018 Ulfrid Neumann retired, but he continues to work in research.
Neumann is a member of numerous associations, such as the International Association for Legal and Social Philosophy (IVR), of which he was President from 2011 to 2015 and of which he has been Honorary President since July 2019. He is an honorary doctor from the Universities of Athens and Lucerne .
- Legal ontology and legal reasoning . Heidelberg / Hamburg 1979, ISBN 3-7685-0779-3 . (Dissertation)
- Attribution and "previous negligence". Preliminary studies on a dialogical model of criminal attribution . Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1985, ISBN 3-428-05764-3 . (Habilitation thesis)
- Legal argumentation . Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 1986, ISBN 3-534-09117-5 . (With translations into Greek , Korean and Japanese )
- Truth in right. On the problem and legitimacy of a questionable way of thinking . Nomos, Baden-Baden 2004, ISBN 3-8329-0910-9 .
- Law as structure and argument . Nomos, Baden-Baden 2008, ISBN 978-3-8329-3496-5 .
- Nomos commentary on the criminal code. 5th edition. Nomos, Baden-Baden 2017. (Co-editor and -author).
- Frank Saliger et al. a. (Ed.): Rule of law criminal law: Festschrift for Ulfrid Neumann on his 70th birthday. C. F. Müller, Heidelberg 2017, ISBN 978-3-8114-3962-7 .
- CV on the homepage of the University of Frankfurt
- Literature by and about Ulfrid Neumann in the catalog of the German National Library
- Frank Saliger's birthday: “Foreword to the ZIS special edition for Prof. Dr. Dres. Hc Ulfrid Neumann ”. (Digitized version) , accessed on May 24, 2018.
- Place of birth after Eberhard Kempf, Klaus Lüderssen a. a. (Ed.): Corporate criminal law . de Gruyter, Berlin a. a. 2012, p. XX. (Digitized version) , accessed on May 24, 2018.
- speech on the award ceremony by Felix Bommer , accessed on May 24, 2018.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German legal scholar|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 20, 1947|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Seligenstadt|