Utto Kornmüller OSB, baptized Josef (born January 5, 1824 in Straubing ; † February 13, 1907 in Metten ), was a composer , church musician and monk in the Bavarian Benedictine Abbey of Metten .
After attending school in Straubing and studying theology at the Lyceum in Regensburg, Josef Kornmüller was ordained a priest in 1847. His first assignments in pastoral care took him to Windberg and Straubing before he entered the Benedictine abbey of Metten in 1857, where he was given the religious name Utto when he was professed . During his studies in Regensburg, Kornmüller, the son of a church musician, had found a connection with the church music reform movement ( Cäcilianism ), to which he was committed throughout his life. In Metten he worked as a music teacher and choir director at the monastery grammar school. He also held the offices of novice master and prior in the monastery for many years . His recognition as a composer and music historian far beyond his own monastery is shown by the fact that he was President of the Diocesan Cäcilienverein in Regensburg from 1884 to 1903.
Some of his Metten students emerged as composers and musicians themselves, such as Michael Haller , Joseph Auer , Fr. Josef Kreitmaier and Fr. Viktor Eder, who became Utto Kornmüller's successor in Metten.
Historical and theoretical treatises
- Historical data about the old Premonstratensian monastery Windberg. In: Negotiations of the historical association for Lower Bavaria 5 (1857) 67–76.
- The Catholic Church Choir: Duties of the Choir Regent, Organist and Singers , Landshut 1868.
- Lexicon of Church Music , Brixen 1870; 2nd improved and increased edition, 2 volumes, Regensburg 1891 and 1895.
- The music at the liturgical mass. Award-winning font , Regensburg 1871.
- St. Wolfgang as a promoter of church singing. In: St. Wolfgang, Bishop of Regensburg. Historical commemorative publication to commemorate the nine hundred years of his death (October 31, 1894) , ed. by Johann Baptist Mehler , Regensburg a. a. 1894, 140-162.
- The maintenance of music in the Benedictine order. In: Studies and communications on the history of the Benedictine order and its branches 2/4 (1881).
- Supplements to the article “The maintenance of music in the Benedictine order”. In: Studies and communications on the history of the Benedictine order and its branches 6/3 (1885).
- 15 offerings from the Commune sanctorum for 2 upper voices with organ , (Regensburg: Pustet) 4th ed. 1903.
- Mass without Credo for 3 upper voices and bass with organ (Regensburg: Pustet).
- Supplementum to the Graduale and Vesperale of the Sublacens Congregation in Belgium , (Regensburg: Pustet) 1895.
- Requiem in E flat for soprano and alto with organ (Regensburg: Coppenrath).
- Missa in honorem S. Benedicti for 2 equal voices with organ (Regensburg: Coppenrath).
- The Prodigal Son, cantata with living pictures for mixed choir and small orchestra , (Regensburg: Coppenrath) 1901.
- Marienlieder for 4-part mixed choir (Regensburg: Coppenrath).
- 12 offerings for 2 boy's voices with organ (Regensburg: Gleichauf-Feuchtinger).
- Offertories for all Marienfeste for 2 and 3 upper voices with organ (Augsburg: Böhm).
- Offertories for two boys' voices with organ (Augsburg: Böhm).
- Michael Kaufmann: Memento mori. In memory of the deceased conventuals of the Benedictine abbey of Metten since the reconstruction in 1830 (history of the development of the Benedictine abbey of Metten, Part V), Metten 2008, 206f.
- Christoph Liebl: "... that the spirit of the church will return to the music of worship ...". The Metten Prior, composer and musicologist P. Utto Kornmüller OSB died 100 years ago. In: Alt und Jung Metten Vol. 73 (2006/07), Issue 2, 221–228.
- August Lindner, The writers and the members of the Benedictine order in what is now the Kingdom of Bavaria, who deserve science and art From the year 1750 to the present , Volume 2, Regensburg 1880.
- August Scharnagl, Art. Kornmüller, Joseph, Pater Utto. In: The Music Past and Present , Volume 7 (1958)
- Literature by and about Utto Kornmüller in the catalog of the German National Library
- Utto Kornmüller in the Bavarian Musicians' Lexicon Online (BMLO)
- Heike Nasritdinova: Kornmüller, Utto . Entry in the database of the Oberpfälzer Kulturbund (currently not available)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German composer, church musician and monk in the Bavarian Benedictine Abbey of Metten|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 5, 1824|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Straubing|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 13, 1907|
|Place of death||Metten|