The Venus symbol ♀ ( Unicode U + 2640 FEMALE SIGN or under MS-Windows Alt + 12 on the numeric keypad ) is a stylized representation of the hand mirror of the goddess Venus (therefore the symbol is also called Venus mirror ). It stands:
- In astronomy and astrology for the planet Venus , making it one of the astronomical symbols .
- In Roman mythology for Venus, the goddess of love , erotic desire and beauty.
- In biology for the female sex .
- In society as a gender symbol for femininity and women , as well as - occasionally supplemented by a clenched fist enclosed in the circle - for the women's movement and feminism .
- In alchemy for the planetary metal copper , hence also in the coat of arms of Falun .
- In medieval and baroque documents (such as diaries ) for Friday ( Latin dies Veneris , day of Venus)
In Egypt it has its counterpart in Ankh .
An earlier symbol of Venus was the pentagram in antiquity , both for the goddess - the Inanna among the Sumerians , the Ištar in Babylonia - and for the planet.
- Symbol , sign
- Mars symbol (♂)
- Earth symbol ( ♁ )
- ( ) Radkreuz , the other earth symbol
- Zodiac signs
Commons : Venus symbols - collection of images, videos, and audio files
- NASA: Planet symbols - with explanations
- ↑ See V. Gordon Childe: New Light on the most ancient East. 1928 (1958, p. 134 + illustration Plate XXI).