On scientific importance
Skalička was a professor at the Charles University in Prague , member of the Prague School with a focus on general linguistics and language typology . In his typological studies he tied on the traditional morphological typology and developed five ideal types based on theoretical considerations: the agglutinating, inflecting, isolating, polysynthetic and introflexive construct. Each of these types (constructs) is described on the basis of phonological, morphological and syntactic properties in such a way that they appear to be optimally coordinated. Concrete languages are then examined to determine the extent to which they have these characteristics or differ from them. This ideal typology was received and continued in many ways in linguistics.
- Typological studies . With a contribution by Petr Sgall , edited by Peter Hartmann . Vieweg, Braunschweig / Wiesbaden 1979. ISBN 3-528-03710-5 . (A collection on the occasion of his 70th birthday; a bibliography of Skalička's works can be found on pages 342–344.)
- Gustav Ineichen : General language typology. Approaches and Methods . 2nd, updated and expanded edition. Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft, Darmstadt 1991, page 47. ISBN 3-534-07409-2 .
- Vladimír Skalička: A "typological construct" . In: Travaux linguistiques de Prague 2, 1966, pages 157-164. Also in the anthology Typological Studies , pages 335–341.
- Harald Haarmann : Basics of the language typology. Methodology, empiricism and systematics of the languages of Europe. Kohlhammer, Stuttgart / Berlin / Cologne / Mainz 1976, pages 56–59. ISBN 3-17-002486-8 .
- Gabriel Altmann , Werner Lehfeldt : Allgemeine Sprachtypologie. Principles and measurement methods. Fink, Munich 1973, page 38. ISBN 3-7705-0891-2 .
- Christiane Hoffmann: Morphologically oriented typology . In: Reinhard Köhler, Gabriel Altmann, Rajmund G. Piotrowski (eds.), Quantitative Linguistics - Quantitative Linguistics. An international manual . Walter de Gruyter, Berlin / New York 2005, pages 578–598, on Skalička and successors: pages 583–587. ISBN 3-11-015578-8 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Czech linguist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 19, 1909|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Prague|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 17, 1991|
|Place of death||Prague|