life and career
Walter Trillmich studied Classical Archeology , Latin and Ancient History at the Eberhard-Karls-Universität Tübingen . In 1970 he became Emperor Caligula and Claudius on the subject of family propaganda. Agrippina Maior and Antonia Augusta doctorate on coins . A travel grant from the German Archaeological Institute (DAI) then took him to the Mediterranean region. From 1971 to 1977 he was an assistant at the Archaeological Seminar of the Free University of Berlin . This was followed by a position as a speaker at the Berlin headquarters of the DAI until 1980. From 1981 to 1996 Trillmich was a consultant in the Madrid department of the DAI. In 1995 he completed his habilitation with a thesis on the statuary decoration of the theater of Mérida at the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich . In 1996 he became director of the scientific department at the DAI headquarters in Berlin. He held this position until 2004. He also taught as a private lecturer at the LMU Munich.
Trillmich is a full member of the DAI. In May 2006 he was awarded an honorary doctorate from the University of “Pablo de Olavide” in Seville. Due to his many years of activity on the Iberian Peninsula, he is considered a specialist in Iberian archeology. He is co-editor of the basic archaeological work on the Iberian Peninsula, Hispania antiqua .
- The Torlonia girl. On the origin and creation of the portraits of women during the imperial era , Vandenhoeck and Ruprecht, Göttingen 1976 (Treatises of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen, Philological-Historical Class, Volume 3, No. 99) ISBN 3-525-82378-9
- Family propaganda of the emperors Caligula and Claudius. Agrippina Maior and Antonia Augusta on coins , de Gruyter, Berlin 1978 (ancient coins and cut stones, vol. 8) ISBN 3-11-007259-9
- with Paul Zanker (Ed.): Cityscape and Ideology. The monumentalization of Hispanic cities between the republic and imperial times , CH Beck, Munich 1992 (Treatises / Bavarian Academy of Sciences, Philosophical-Historical Class, NF, H. 103) ISBN 3-7696-0098-3
- with others: Hispania antiqua. Monuments of Roman times , von Zabern, Main 1993 ISBN 3-8053-1547-3
- Walter Trillmich , in: Nürnberger Blätter zur Archäologie , Volume 19 (2002/03), p. 84
- German Archaeological Institute: Honorary doctorate for Prof. Dr. Walter Trillmich ( Memento from September 27, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German classical archaeologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 23, 1942|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Wroclaw|