Felber studied medicine at the Humboldt University in Berlin and the Dresden Medical Academy from 1965 and received his license to practice medicine in 1971 . He initially worked at the Medical Academy and from 1976 to 1989 head of the care center for people at risk of suicide at the Dresden Psychiatric Clinic. He received his doctorate in Dresden in 1979 and obtained his doctorate B in 1989, which was converted into a habilitation in 1991. After a time as a private lecturer, Felber became professor of psychiatry at the Technical University of Dresden in 1994 . From 1999 he temporarily headed the Clinic and Polyclinic for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy at the Carl Gustav Carus University Hospital in Dresden. He is retired .
In 1997 he received the Hans Rost Prize from the German Society for Suicide Prevention .
- The recurrence prophylactic treatment of cyclothymia with lithium: evaluation of 850 lithium treatments carried out in the GDR in 1968–1973 under a joint working concept. Dissertation A, Medical Academy Dresden, 1979; New edition: Prevention of recurrence of affective disorders with lithium: Multicenter study lithium therapy in 850 patients. Roderer , Regensburg 1993.
- On the typology of the parasuicide: univariate and multivariate evaluations of 1835 index parasuicides according to taxonomic principles, catamnestic results and theoretical and practical suicidological implications. Dissertation B, Medical Academy Dresden, 1989; New edition: Typology of the parasuicide: suicidal hazard, taxonomic impact, catamnestic result. Roderer, Regensburg 1993; 2nd, improved edition 1999.
- Edited with Christian Reimer: Clinical Suizidology: Practice and Research. Springer, Berlin 1991.
- With Olf Kahre: Krisis: Conceptual historical considerations on a key psychiatric term. Roderer, Regensburg 2001.
- German adaptation and preface to: Zvi Lothane : Soul murder and psychiatry - on the rehabilitation of Schreber. Psychosozial-Verlag, Giessen 2004, with a foreword by Werner Felber. ISBN 3-89806-242-2 ( katalog.ub.uni-heidelberg.de ).
- Felber, Werner. In: Dorit Petschel : 175 years of TU Dresden. Volume 3: The professors of the TU Dresden 1828–2003. Edited on behalf of the Society of Friends and Supporters of the TU Dresden e. V. von Reiner Pommerin , Böhlau, Cologne a. a. 2003, ISBN 3-412-02503-8 , p. 205 ( limited preview in Google book search).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German psychiatrist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 18, 1944|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Dresden|