He later changed his name: in order to avoid confusion with the painter Willi Münch-Munich and in honor of his hometown Karlsruhe, he added the addition Khe .
Münch, son of a post office clerk, trained as a glass painter and studied in Karlsruhe at the local academy . From 1908 he worked as a drawing teacher at the arts and crafts school there. In 1909 he became a master student with Hans Thoma . In the same year he made his first ceramic designs for the Karlsruhe majolica factory . The collaboration ended in 1915.
In the 1930s, Münch-Khe also worked as a freelancer for the Rosenthal company , for which he designed a porcelain service and animal figures. From 1939 he ran his own workshop in Hegau on Lake Constance .
In the post-war period , Willi Münch-Khe lived in Argentina from 1949 to 1953 . From 1953 he again created designs for the Meißen porcelain factory, as well as for Villeroy and Boch and Hutschenreuther .
Willi Münch-Khe died at dawn on December 29, 1960 of complications from a heart attack .
Complete works (according to own information)
- Hundreds of hand drawings and drafts
- Oil paintings from three epochs
- 370 partly life-size portraits
- 350 drypoint etchings
- 250 porcelains
- 40 animal bronzes
- 12 bronze busts
- Eugen Rombach: Willi Münch-Khe (1885–1969). Obituary in: Hegau - magazine for history, folklore and natural history of the area between the Rhine, Danube and Lake Constance , self-published by the Hegau-Geschichtsverein Singen e. V. Volume 41/42, Singen (Hohentwiel) , September 1986, pp. 259-265.
- Helga Hilschenz (research associate), Bernd Fritz ( arrangement ): Münch-Khe , in this: Rosenthal, one hundred years of porcelain. Exhibition, Kestner Museum, Hanover , leaflet and catalog for the exhibition of the same name from April 29 to June 13, 1982 in the Kestner Museum Hanover, as well as from June 20 to August 15, 1982 in the Focke Museum in Bremen and from September 10th until October 31, 1982 in the Kunstgewerbemuseum Cologne in the Overstolzenhaus, ed. for the Kestner Museum, Union-Verlag, Hanover, Stuttgart 1982, ISBN 978-3-8139-5604-7 and ISBN 3-8139-5604-0 , p. 190
- Eugen Rombach: Willi Münch-Khe (1885–1969). Obituary in: Hegau - magazine for history, folklore and natural history of the area between the Rhine, Danube and Lake Constance , self-published by the Hegau-Geschichtsverein Singen e. V. Volume 41/42, Singen (Hohentwiel) , September 1986, p. 265.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Münch, Heinrich Eduard Wilhelm|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German sculptor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 19, 1885|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Karlsruhe|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 29, 1960|
|Place of death||Karlsruhe|