Yair Mundlak (* 1927 in Pinsk , Poland ; † October 2015 in Tel Aviv , Israel ) was an Israeli economist and university professor . The focus of his research and teaching was in the field of agricultural economics .
Career, research and teaching
Mundlak studied agricultural economics at the University of California, Davis , which he left in 1953 with a Bachelor of Science degree towards the University of California, Berkeley . There he did his Master of Science in Statistics in 1956 , before earning a Ph.D. graduated in Agricultural Economics. He then went to Israel to teach as an Associate Professor of Agricultural Economics at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem . In 1970 the university appointed him full professor, and until his retirement in 1991 he held the Ruth Hochberg chair . Between 1965 and 1973 he headed the agricultural economics department, and between 1972 and 1974 he was dean of the agricultural faculty. From 1978 he worked in parallel in the United States , at the University of Chicago he took up the Prince professorship for economics until 1997 . Before that, he had already held a number of visiting professorships in the USA.
Mundlak's main focus in the area of agricultural economics was the analysis of the economic influence of agriculture, in particular on economic growth . To this end, he carried out empirical studies in various countries, on the basis of which he developed a model to describe the relationship.
From 1970 Mundlak was a fellow of the Econometric Society , since 1993 of the American Agricultural Economics Association . At times he was an advisor to the Israeli government in the 1960s and 1970s.
The following list shows books and monographs published by Mundlak, and he has also written various journal articles and working papers.
- Economic Analysis of Established Family Farms in Israel , 1964
- Long Term Projections of Supply and Demand for Agricultural Products in Israel , 1964
- The West Bank and Gaza Strip - Economic Structure and Development Prospects with Haim Ben-Shahar , Eitan Berglas and Esra Sadan , 1971
- The Effects of Free Trade with the Territories on Israel Agriculture with G. Avni, 1974
- Intersectoral Factor Mobility and Agricultural Growth , 1979
- Agricultural and Economic Growth in an Open Economy: The Case of Argentina with Domingo Cacallo , 1982
- Agriculture and Economic Growth, Argentina 1913-1984 with Domingo Cacallo and Roberto Domenech , 1989
- La Argentina, Que Pudo Ser - Los Costos de la Represion Economica with Domingo Cavallo and Roberto Domenech, 1989
- Constraints Incentives and the Transformation of Punjab Agriculture: 1960-1980 with Anya McGuirk , 1991
- Sectoral Growth in Chile: 1962-82 with Juan Eduardo Coeymans , 1993
- Agriculture and Economic Growth; Theory and Measurement Cambridge , 2000
- Mark Blaug (Ed.): Who's who in economics. 3rd edition, Elgar, Cheltenham [u. a.] 1999, ISBN 1-85898-886-1 , pp. 809-810
- obituary , aaea.org, accessed on February 26, 2018
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Israeli economist and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1927|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Pinsk , Poland|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 2015|
|Place of death||Tel Aviv , Israel|