Under prevention (based on recycling also Precycling ) all precautions and measures to be understood that the material utilization precede, recycling, and serve the amount of the resulting waste to be reduced. Waste prevention is already happening in the conception and the design of products , in particular through the selection and use of substances according to criteria of pollutants freedom, the length of the useful life and recyclability at a high quality level.
Measures to avoid waste
Part of the qualitative waste avoidance
- the cyclical use of resources (e.g. circular economy , cradle to cradle )
- the use of reusable systems
- the design of products for multiple use in product-service systems (e.g. leasing , sharing ).
- the replacement of toxic or otherwise problematic substances with alternatives
- limiting the number of substances used to just one substance (for simple products) or as few substances as possible
- the abandonment of composites
- avoiding materials that cannot be recycled and rethinking the sensible use of materials and resources (where do I use which material and when)
Quantitative waste avoidance includes all measures that aim from the outset (i.e. already during production ) to reduce the amount of waste that occurs later, such as
- the reduction of the used material mass (e.g. thinner-walled packaging films)
- the design of products with a long service life for the re-use, re-use with the characteristics of repairability , cleaning ability, washability , Refillability etc.
- the recycling of used goods through second-hand shops and social department stores
If products are manufactured for a long period of use and for many uses, the amount of waste generated is very small in relation to use. If, on the other hand, products are manufactured for a short period of use and possibly only for one use process, the amount of waste in relation to use is very large.
- Konrad Soyez, Dieter Baier: Less waste, more value. Garbage avoidance, recycling, second hand and Co. Beuth Verlag, Berlin 2009. E-book.
- Ademir Sérgio Ferreira de Araújo: Waste management: new research Nova Science Publ., New York 2012.
- Hans Jürgen Schumann: Avoidance, recycling and disposal measures for household waste and other residues from private households Rhombos-Verlag, Berlin 2010.
- Norbert Thomas: Luxury garbage . Zebulon Verlag, Düsseldorf 1994. ISBN 3-928679-19-8
- Press office of the Hanseatic City of Rostock: Too good for the garbage! Avoidance of waste through further use; Tips for providers and seekers press office, Rostock 2009.
- Sustainability seal for long-lasting, easily repairable products (PDF; 634 kB)
- Ifo Dierbach: The recycling of bulky waste . In: SWE Stadtwortschaft Erfurt GmbH (Ed.): Series of publications, Department of Waste Technology, University of Kassel . university press GmbH, Kassel 2013, p. 155 .