Adolf Schönnenbeck, son of a Westphalian farmer, attended the Rector's School in Halver from 1880 to 1886. He then studied from 1887 to 1894 at the Düsseldorf Art Academy , where, among others, Adolf Schill and Peter Janssen were his teachers. On a scholarship, he traveled to Italy in 1902. Further study trips took him to England, Holland, Belgium and Paris. From 1903 he lived as a freelance artist in Düsseldorf.
In 1918 Schönnenbeck was appointed professor and in 1919 a member of the Düsseldorf Academy, where he then worked for 27 years as a teacher. He belonged to the Düsseldorf artists' association Malkasten . He was regularly represented with his works at major group exhibitions in Düsseldorf.
Schönnenbeck mainly created genre pictures, portraits and lithographs. He showed the people of his home country at work and in their home environment.
- Schönnenbeck, Adolf . In: Hans Vollmer (Hrsg.): General lexicon of fine artists from antiquity to the present . Founded by Ulrich Thieme and Felix Becker . tape 30 : Scheffel – Siemerding . EA Seemann, Leipzig 1936.
- Schönnenbeck (Carl) Adolf. In: Rudolf Vierhaus (Ed.): German Biographical Encyclopedia (DBE) . 2., revised. and extended edition. tape 9 : Schlumberger – Thiersch . De Gruyter / KG Saur, Berlin / Boston / Munich 2008, ISBN 978-3-11-096502-5 , p. 159 ( limited preview in Google Book search).
- Adolf Schönnenbeck on the Halver website: Halver personalities (with picture)
- See nos. 13053–13063 in the finding aid 212.01.04 Student lists of the Düsseldorf Art Academy , website in the archive.nrw.de portal ( North Rhine-Westphalia State Archive )
- Artists of the Düsseldorf School of Painting (selection, status: November 2016) - Foundation Museum Kunstpalast Düsseldorf (SMPK)
- Inventory list of the artists' association Malkasten
- Walter Cohen : The Great Berlin Art Exhibition in Düsseldorf. In: Art for everyone. Volume 32, issue 23/24 (September 1, 1917), p. 462/472 ( digitized version of Heidelberg University )
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Schönnenbeck, Carl Adolf (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German painter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 10, 1869|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Halver - Stenkenberg|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 30, 1965|
|Place of death||Waldbröl|