Alexandra Trkola (* 1965 ) is a virologist and professor of medical virology at the University of Zurich . Her research focuses on how the HI virus gets into human cells and identifies antibodies that can prevent this penetration, which in the long term could lead to the development of a vaccine against HIV.
Trkola was born in 1965 and initially studied food and biotechnology from 1983 to 1990 with a diploma at the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences in Vienna, to which she completed a doctoral degree. In 1994 she went to New York to the Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center , before doing research as an assistant professor at Rockefeller University from 1999 . In 2000 she returned to Europe and became senior assistant at the Clinic for Infectious Diseases and Hospital Hygiene at the University Hospital Zurich . There she completed her habilitation in 2002 and acquired the license to teach experimental infectious diseases. From 2004, Trkola held a professorship at the University of Zurich from the Swiss National Science Foundation before she was appointed full professor there in March 2008 and director of the Institute for Medical Virology in September of the same year.
- 2006: Research Award from the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation
- 2018: First prize (basic research category) from the Swiss Society for Infectious Diseases and the Swiss Academic Foundation for Education in Infectious Diseases
- with Cynthia Gordon, Jamie Matthews, Elizabeth Maxwell, Tom Ketas: The CC-Chemokine RANTES Increases the Attachment of Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type 1 to Target Cells via Glycosaminoglycans and Also Activates a Signal Transduction Pathway That Enhances Viral Infectivity . In: Journal of Virology . tape 73 , no. 8 , 1999, ISSN 1098-5514 , pp. 6370-6379 , doi : 10.1128 / jvi.73.8.6370-6379.1999 .
- with Claus Kadelka, Thomas Liechti, Hanna Ebner, Merle Schanz, Peter Rusert: Distinct, IgG1-driven antibody response landscapes demarcate individuals with broadly HIV-1 neutralizing activity . In: Journal of Experimental Medicine . tape 215 , no. 6 , June 4, 2018, ISSN 0022-1007 , p. 1589–1608 , doi : 10.1084 / jem.20180246 , PMID 29794117 , PMC 5987927 (free full text) - ( rupress.org [accessed March 17, 2020]).
- List of publications Alexandra Trkola on publons.com
- Group Trkola - Research group and description of the research area (English) oup Tr
- Curriculum Vitae Alexandra Trkola, PhD. (PDF) In: virology.uzh.ch. University of Zurich, accessed on March 16, 2020 (English).
- Broad-HIV antibodies as the basis for a vaccine. Retrieved March 17, 2020 .
- Effective antibodies against HIV . In: University management of the University of Zurich, Heini Murer (Ed.): Unireport 2007. Discover research . Zurich April 2007, p. 30–31 ( online via kommunikation.uzh.ch [PDF]).
- Zurich researchers crack the defense shield of the AIDS virus . In: Basler Zeitung . June 14, 2011, ISSN 1420-3006 ( bazonline.ch [accessed March 17, 2020]).
- University of Zurich, Medical Faculty (Ed.): "Exciting hunt for results." Alexandra Trkola · Professor of Medical Virology · Virologist . Zurich ( online via med.uzh.ch [PDF]).
- Elizabeth Glaser Scientists . In: Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation (ed.): UNTIL NO CHILD HAS AIDS . Washington, DC 2014, pp. 69 ( online via pedaids.org [PDF]).
- An important AIDS research award goes to Alexandra Trkola | NZZ. Retrieved March 17, 2020 .
- Awards. In: safe-id.ch. 2018, accessed March 17, 2020 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Virologist and Professor of Medical Virologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1965|