Alfred K. Louis (born March 2, 1949 in Elversberg ) is a German mathematician .
After a diploma in mathematics at Saarland University in 1972 and a doctorate in mathematics on error estimations for solutions of quasi-linear elliptic differential equations using finite elements at the University of Mainz in 1976 , Louis completed his habilitation in 1982 at the University of Münster with a thesis on algorithms in computer tomography . In 1983 he accepted a professorship for mathematics at the University of Kaiserslautern , and in 1986 he took over a chair for numerical mathematics at the Technical University of Berlin . From 1990 he was professor for applied mathematics at the Saarland University in Saarbrücken . He is currently working as a senior professor .
Louis' main areas of activity and research are in the field of numerical mathematics as well as the analysis and algorithm development of inverse problems with a focus on medical technology, computed tomography , non-destructive testing methods , biotechnology and financial mathematics.
Louis was Vice President of Saarland University from 1997 to 1999. He is co-editor of several international mathematical journals and from 2010 to 2014 was editor-in-chief of Inverse Problems . His books Inverse and Badly Asked Problems and Wavelets: Theory and Applications are standard textbooks in German-speaking countries.
Louis is the founder and owner of ISCA, the Institute for Scientific Computing and Applications , which converts current research results into usable products.
For his services to Franco-German friendship and his commitment to university exchanges, Louis received the French government's highest award for services to the French education system and was named " Chevalier d 'Ordre des Palmes Académiques ".
In 2012, Louis was awarded an honorary doctorate from the University of Bremen in recognition of his academic achievements in the field of “Inverse Problems and Scientific Computing” .
In 2013 he was awarded an honorary doctorate from the Novosibirsk State University for his outstanding achievements in developing the theory of inverse problems and establishing cooperation between the Novosibirsk State University , the Sobolev Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences and the Saarland University.
In 2019 he was honored with the gold medal of the Sobolev Institute of Mathematics of the Russian Academy of Sciences for outstanding achievements as a lifetime achievement award.
- Inverse and Badly Asked Problems , Teubner: Stuttgart (1989)
- With P. Maaß and A. Rieder: Wavelets: Theory and Applications , 2nd edition, Teubner:, Stuttgart (1998)
- With P. Maaß and A. Rieder: Wavelets: Theory and Applications , Wiley: New York (1997)
- Literature by and about Alfred Louis in the catalog of the German National Library
- Homepage of Alfred Louis at Saarland University
- ISCA homepage from Alfred Louis
- Alfred Louis at Mathematics Genealogy Project
- ^ Mathematician Alfred K. Louis receives an honorary doctorate from the University of Bremen on the University of Bremen's website
- ^ Mathematician Alfred K. Louis is an honorary doctorate from Novosibirsk State University . In: Saarland University (Ed.): Campus . No. 3/13 , December 5, 2013, p. 11 ( uni-saarland.de [PDF]).
- ^ Sobolev Institute of Mathematics. Retrieved September 14, 2019 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Louis, Alfred K.|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German mathematician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 2, 1949|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Elversberg , Saarland|