Armando Cesar Cortes-Rodrigues (born February 28, 1891 in Vila Franca do Campo , Sao Miguel , Azores , Portugal ; † October 14, 1971 in Ponta Delgada , Azores, Portugal) was a Portuguese writer, playwright and poet, as well as a philologist and ethnologist . He became known through his pen friendship with Fernando Pessoa and his participation in the Orpheu magazine .
Cortes-Rodrigues was born the son of the poet Cesar Rodrigues . Throughout his life he remained connected to the Azores, with the exception of a study break. After graduating from high school, he studied from 1910 to 1915 in Lisbon at the literary faculty of the University of Romance Philology and graduated in 1917. After his return to the Azores he worked as a teacher and editor of the island newspaper " Insular ".
During his time in Lisbon he frequented literary circles in the city and met Fernando Pessoa, who became a friend of his and with whom he was in correspondence. In literary terms he was influenced by Symbolism and Paulism . His poems often revolved around regional and religious subjects. He also wrote for various magazines, such as A Aguia , Exilio , Presença , Cadernos de Poesia , Portucal , Atlântico . He had his most important publication in the legendary two issues of Orpheu magazine , where he was represented with two poems under the female pseudonym Violante de Cisneiros and also under his own name.
As an ethnologist and folklorist of the Azorean literary tradition, he published several works, many of which are now considered standard works. His " Cancioneiro Geral dos Açores " is based on the Cancioneiros of the Middle Ages. The book contains one of the most extensive and extensive collections of Azorean folk poetry.
Corte's play "Quando o mar galgou a terra" was filmed in 1954 under the direction of Henrique Campos . Cortes-Rodrigues wrote the script.
honors and awards
- In Ponta Delgada, a street is named after Cortes-Rodrigues.
- Premio Antero de Quental , 1953.
- Ode a minerva, 1922, poetry.
- Em louvar da humilidade. Poemas da terra e das pobres, 1924, poetry.
- Auto do Natal, 1926, play.
- Poesia popular açoriana, 1937, ethnographic work on Azorean folk poetry.
- Quando o mar galgou a terra, 1940, play.
- Cantares da Noite seguindos dos poemas de Orpheu, 1942, poetry.
- Quatro poemas liricos, 1948, poetry.
- Cancioneiro Geral dos Açores, 1982 (compiled posthumously from his ethnographic work), 3 editions, General Songbook of the Azores.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Cortes-Rodrigues, Armando Cesar (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Portuguese writer, philologist and ethnologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 28, 1891|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vila Franco do Campo , Sao Miguel , Azores, Portugal|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 14, 1971|
|Place of death||Ponta Delgada , Azores, Portugal|